how could I get W10 from W8.1 ? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: how could I get W10 from W8.1 ?

thanks JDC2000
    the bios there listed are all for W10, do they works also for W8.1, or you mean to download those so to keep as needed at W10 upgrade, if so in which file should I download them?
    Regarding drivers, on second attempts it say that my system does not needs Drivers updates.
    But shouldn't I need to have all W10 drivers stored somewhere just in case they were needed after the upgrade? In particular networking.
    This from Lenovo:
    Identify which BIOS to download and install on your machine:

1. Press F1 to enter BIOS setup Utility during the system power on

2. Check the “BIOS Revision Level” to identify what CPU platform your machine is:
    O06KTxxAUS is Beema
    O1WKTxxAUS is Carrizo-L

3. Download corresponding BIOS package according the BIOS version

Or alternatively :
    Flash Under Operating System

1. Please make note of any settings you have changed in the BIOS Setup utility. They may have to be re-entered after updating the BIOS.

2. Run the application "xxxJYnnUSA.exe" with Administrator privilege to start flash process.

3. You may first see a confirmation prompt "Proceed with BIOS update now?". Click "Yes" to continue.
    Other options to follow...
    Thanks
    Last edited by cima2003; November 17th, 2021 at 12:27 PM.

The BIOS version you currently have and any updates should work with Windows 8.1 or 10, since the BIOS runs before any operating system is loaded.

If you do not have the latest BIOS version, I would update to Windows 10 before updating the BIOS.

so, for the Flash Under Operating System, you would download the appropriate BIOS update .exe file, and save it to your local hard drive, then right-click on that saved file and select Run as Administrator.

For the drivers, you may not need any updated now, but I would download and save the driver files in case you need them after updating to Windows 10. I usually make a folder for Drivers, then subfolders for the various hardware types so I know which subfolder contains what driver update.

List of 11 drivers in need of update by DRIVER IDENTIFIER:

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 745 NVIDIA 23.21.13.8912 2018-03-07 Update

Intel(R) 8 Series/C220 Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller Intel 12.8.0.1016 2013-08-01 Update

NVIDIA Miracast Audio NVIDIA 10.58.4.413 2018-03-07 Update

[HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0662&SUBSYS_17AA367D&REV_1003\4&143AE085&0&0001] Realtek High Definition Audio Realtek Semiconductor Corp. 6.0.1.7910 2016-08-16 Update

[HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10DE&DEV_0060&SUBSYS_14623110&REV_1001\5&15D9A489&0&0001] NVIDIA High Definition Audio NVIDIA Corporation 1.3.36.6 2017-12-15 Update

Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller Realtek 8.18.621.2013 2013-06-21 Update

Intel(R) Xeon(R) processor E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core processor PCI Express x16 Controller - 0C01
    Intel 9.4.0.1023 2013-07-25 Update

Intel(R) 8 Series/C220 Series PCI Express Root Port #3 - 8C14 -9.4.0.1023 2013-07-25 Update

Intel(R) 4th Gen Core processor DRAM Controller - 0C00 Intel 9.4.0.1023 -2013-07-25 Update

Intel(R) 8 Series/C220 Series PCI Express Root Port #1 - 8C10 Intel9.4.0.1023 2013-07-25 Update

[PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_8C5C&SUBSYS_367D17AA&REV_05\3&11583659&0&F8] Intel(R) H81 LPC Controller - 8C5C Intel 9.4.0.1023 2013-07-25 Update

What do you think, Should I try ?
    Thanks

Driver Identifier? That does not sound like a Lenovo utility. Where did you find that?

Quote Originally Posted by jdc2000 View Post
    Driver Identifier? That does not sound like a Lenovo utility. Where did you find that?
    I found it on line, unknown publisher, but actually Invidia and Realtek were also listed in a first try by the Lenovo update app, the ones it couldn't update, and then in a second try The app could not find any.

How could I find which drivers are needed, though the PC is running fine.
    I runned DriverIdentifier because of the expired Lenovo app, thinking that problems with drivers update.
    It sure looks a little heavy on the quantity of needed updates.

So I have one 8g USB2 for all my files and bookmarks
    and 1 32g USB3 for W8.1 in case I have to go back to it, on a failed upgrade. Should I make that bootable?
    so to reinstall it? Does it matter partitions? there are 5 of them, one only for recovery. Or should I use the 32G for W10 image that I first download on the hard drive and than transfer on the 32G.
    Years ago I did this a dozens times, but always a clean install, I always had a Wdisk, With the various PC custom made trough the years,. But nowdays they don't give it to you anymore when you buy a PC at the store. There is a recovery partition, but what if you can't access it for some reason.
    Thanks
    Last edited by cima2003; November 18th, 2021 at 12:23 PM.

The general rule is that if the computer is running OK, then you do not need any driver updates.

Third party programs that claim to be able to provide you with driver updates are usually just a way for someone to drain cash out of your wallet, or, worse, to update your drivers with ones containing malware.

As far as the upgrade to Windows 10 goes, in your case, if I were doing it, I would make a complete clone of whatever hard drive that you are using to contain the Windows operating system to another disk drive, and then disconnect all other drives and boot from the cloned Windows 8.1 drive and perform the upgrade to Windows 10, then test everything out to make sure that everything is working OK. The results of that test would determine how to proceed from there. If the Windows 10 upgrade is a failure, you have your original disk to go back to with Windows 8.1.

The general rule is that if the computer is running OK, then you do not need any driver updates.

Third party programs that claim to be able to provide you with driver updates are usually just a way for someone to drain cash out of your wallet, or, worse, to update your drivers with ones containing malware.

As far as the upgrade to Windows 10 goes, in your case, if I were doing it, I would make a complete clone of whatever hard drive that you are using to contain the Windows operating system to another disk drive, and then disconnect all other drives and boot from the cloned Windows 8.1 drive and perform the upgrade to Windows 10, then test everything out to make sure that everything is working OK. The results of that test would determine how to proceed from there. If the Windows 10 upgrade is a failure, you have your original disk to go back to with Windows 8.1.
    Thanks, Uninstalled the driversearch and the uninstaller one, both from the w8 app.
    - Drivers: yes this machine is running good (a little slow getting crowded) but those drivers are not going be enough for W10, that's why I was planning to get the all set, but where, on the 32G USB stick (bootable) or on the 8G where I have all personal files (quite empty).
    - W10 Upgrade: You're saying better to have a second HD (SSD?) than to use a bootable USB stick? With the former I just have to change the boot sequence, after I installed a second HD. And I always had 2 OS to choose from. Problem is this machine is getting old (2015) and soon I have to replace it, maybe with a W11, as OS are made useless more and more.
    Wouldn't be the same with the USB? I could load W10 on a different partition and go back to the 8.1 partition just in case. You think possible an ISO file on the 32G-USB, as the actual HD clone?
    Thanks
    Last edited by cima2003; November 19th, 2021 at 11:46 AM.

When upgrading to Windows 10, you want to make sure that you have a way to go back to a working Windows 8.1 system in case something goes wrong during the process. The method I outlined was just one way to do this. There are other methods that you could use. I prefer to keep a working boot hard drive in reserve in case Microsoft decides to do something I did not ask it to do during the upgrade. Any method that you choose should include making sure that you have backups and safeguards in place just in case, in order to avoid data loss or extra recovery time in case of failure.

When upgrading to Windows 10, you want to make sure that you have a way to go back to a working Windows 8.1 system in case something goes wrong during the process. The method I outlined was just one way to do this. There are other methods that you could use. I prefer to keep a working boot hard drive in reserve in case Microsoft decides to do something I did not ask it to do during the upgrade. Any method that you choose should include making sure that you have backups and safeguards in place just in case, in order to avoid data loss or extra recovery time in case of failure.
    Thank you JDC, I know what The beast can do, and I already have what I need on a UBS key, and 10 on another, seeming to start up at boot. The original product key ready just in case.
    I'm pondering on how to preserve 8.1, also just in case. If on another UBS, like I have 10, and ready to be reloaded, on a recovery boot up, or as you suggested, on a internal SSD drive, but for that I had to wait for AMZN, and not sure if there is a port. I only have left 1 external free USB port, I should buy a USB Hub extension also. Nevertheless it would be the most secure way...to go back to the old non solution in which a lot of customers were left by the beast. Me too I thought the upgrade were not to expire...but it did. It seems many late upgraders had sporadic few problems.
    Thanks

here below is the Lenovo boot: SATA3 port is available for a HD, I was thinking to get a SSD, would be possible? and How big, the HD on Sata2 is 1 TB, 90% free, the OS take 1of5 partitions 800/900gb the others are recovery: 1/1g (I can't get why is empty) also 1: OEM and 1:EFI the last also empty recovery :24g. Could I use, as is empty, the main recovery 1g to mount an ISO w8.1 OS as the suggestion you advanced? or better a new SSD with a mounted ISO W8.1? The w10 I have it on a flash USB 30g.
    Thanks again

BOOT SEQUENCE:
    SATA1: MAT****A DVD-RAMSW840
    SATA3:
    USB FDD:
    USB KEY :
    ^ SATA2 :WDC
    W.BOOT MANAGER
    USB HDD:
    USB CDROM
    Excluded from Boot Order:
    Last edited by cima2003; November 29th, 2021 at 11:49 AM.

1 GB is not enough space for an installation of Windows. Even 24 GB would be too small to be usable.

You could use this:

https://www.newegg.com/crucial-mx500..._-1tb|ssd-_-11

1 GB is not enough space for an installation of Windows. Even 24 GB would be too small to be usable.

You could use this:

https://www.newegg.com/crucial-mx500..._-1tb|ssd-_-11
    thanks JDC, I'm going to use WinCDEmu to mount 8.1 on the 2d ssd drive of 500G. But the flushdrive holding W10 is 30G, but that only to load it on the 1T mechanical HD holding W8.1 I'm using now. Don't you think the 30G Flush usb capable of holding W10? it seems to have it loaded.
    Looking at the below boot sequence, do I have to move it to USB KEY from SATA2 to reboot the Upgrading from the flush usb30G ? Thanks

BOOT SEQUENCE:
    SATA1: MAT****A DVD-RAMSW840
    SATA3:
    USB FDD:
    USB KEY :
    ^ SATA2 :WDC
    W.BOOT MANAGER
    USB HDD:
    USB CDROM
    Excluded from Boot Order:

The 30 GB flash drive is adequate as a temporary setup. If you wanted to receive updates on it, it would be short of space.

As for the boot sequence, if your system has a boot menu available, you can use that to select the boot device during the upgrade process. If there is no boot menu, you may have to change the boot device during the upgrade process.

The 30 GB flash drive is adequate as a temporary setup. If you wanted to receive updates on it, it would be short of space.

As for the boot sequence, if your system has a boot menu available, you can use that to select the boot device during the upgrade process. If there is no boot menu, you may have to change the boot device during the upgrade process.
    I load the boot menu by clicking F1 at start. You mean it will boot from the usb by itself, and no from W8.1 ?
    Without changing the boot order?

On this PC- System there is the Product ID that read : *****-*****-*****-AAOEM
    with numbers instead of asterisks.
    But on a key recovery site to digit on the command prompt, I got an all different key, with 5 times 5 numbers, how it should be. How come MS doesn't give the right key, or is the other way around?
    do you think is right? that's the prompt:
    wmic path softwarelicensingservice get OA3xOriginalProductKey

Thanks

On the Windows product key, if you have not re-installed Windows since the computer was set up at the factory, then the key should be whatever is on the label or document that you received. The key sequence would not be all numeric digits. I would save whatever information you have anyway, just in case.

If you have a boot menu available at startup, you can select the boot device at that time without changing the boot order.

Thread Information