how could I get W10 from W8.1 ?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: how could I get W10 from W8.1 ?

how could I get W10 from W8.1 ?

W. is not supporting 8.1 any-longer, can I get the upgrade to W10 even if it is ended the free one ?
    Thanks

Yes.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/heres-...ws-10-upgrade/

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/soft...load/windows10

If you upgrade to win 10 home or pro it will run whether or not you decide to eventually pay for it. If you don't pay for it you will get occasional nags and a very few limits on some basic Windows cosmetic functions but otherwise it works just fine.

Your main choice will be to upgrade your current system keeping all your programs and files intact or to start from scratch with a new clean install. Regardless of what you choose I would back up all files and info on the computer before you start... things like bookmarks, log in info, email acc't info, media files, license info for installed programs etc. A disc image would be best so you can go back to your existing system if you encounter a significant problem and either change your mind or need to start over again.

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

Tank you Fink

"Security Intelligence Update for Microsoft Defender Antivirus - KB2267602 (Version 1.351.787.0)"

MSFT after a week not sending updates, today I got the latter up here.
    After all, shouldn't I just be concerned about a cut in new security updates? about if I wait until W11 roll in, and than I upgrade to it? Do you think could I do that? or isn't worth the wait for W11 is not too good anyway .
    You say better to first make an ISO file and than download on PC, but where, I have an 8gb USB pen drive, that's ok? should I also back up all my files and bookmarks on the same disc? aren't they going to ask for the key? I forgot where it is, could be inside the PC files?
    Thanks again
    PC SPECS
    W8.1 NS: 00258-61743-32505-AAOEM
    LENOVO-PC2
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4460 CPU @ 3.20GHz, 3201 Mhz, 4 core, 4 processori logici X64
    BIOS LENOVO IEKT26AUS, 22/07/2014 - SMBIOS 2.7
    (RAM) 4,00 GB
    Windows 8.1 Versione 6.3.9600 build 9600
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 745
    Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller - Ethernet 802.3
    CHKDSK C: /spotfix
    NVIDIA - Display - 12/29/2016 12:00:00 AM - 21.21.13.7654 Data di installazione: 08:49 ‎11/‎07/‎2017
    Last edited by cima2003; October 22nd, 2021 at 08:49 AM.

shouldn't I just be concerned about a cut in new security updates?
    That would be my main concern... if/when MS stops issuing security updates for the OS. Not just antivirus related but operating system updates as well.

if I wait until W11 roll in, and than I upgrade to it? Do you think could I do that?

Everything I said above about upgrading to Win 10 also applies to Win 11 except the much more stringent upgrade requirements on the computer.. see this post:

https://discussions.virtualdr.com/sh...M-REQUIREMENTS

I have an 8gb USB pen drive, that's ok? should I also back up all the files and bookmarks on the same disc?
    8Gigs is just large enough but making it a bootable install ISO will delete anything/everything that's currently on that USB drive. If it's your backup drive I would definitely buy a new one.

when I install the downloded W10, MSFT is going to find all my files and bookmarks I got on W8.1 ? Or I better get another pendrive to carry all those personal files?
    Thanks

I would buy a new pen drive and backup everything regardless of what you do.

Microsoft won't back up anything at all. However if you upgrade your OS from 8.1 to 10 (as an upgrade not a brand new, clean install) all of your current data would, if everything works as it should, still be on your computer where they are now with 10 as the OS instead of 8.1.

You can still to this day get W10 for free.

Quote Originally Posted by dashwood95 View Post
    You can still to this day get W10 for free.

Thanks, this from your link:
    "...ISO file After the download is complete, you'll need to mount the ISO file and open it in a Windows Explorer/File Explorer window. On a PC running Windows 8.1 or Windows 10, you can double-click the ISO file to open it as a virtual drive. .."

Why as a virtual drive?

Why as a virtual drive?
    If you mount the .iso file directly, without actually making a disc from it, it will be a "virtual" drive since it is not really in a CD/DVD drive. If you have a physical CD/DVD drive, you can make a disc from the .iso file and then use it in that drive.

Quote Originally Posted by jdc2000 View Post
    If you mount the .iso file directly, without actually making a disc from it, it will be a "virtual" drive since it is not really in a CD/DVD drive. If you have a physical CD/DVD drive, you can make a disc from the .iso file and then use it in that drive.
    before W10 upgrade is important to upgrade all System drivers, BIOS (the latter is from 2015) so not to encounter problems, and often I did so every time I upgraded W.
    But since this Lenovo in 2015 I did nothing, and I forgot a little bit as to better do it..
    On the Lenovo upgrade app. I tried to download 2 drivers (audio, video) but was not successful.
    Bios Lenovo app is a little confusing and look old (2016) (and I never did it like that) :
    "C:\SWTOOLS\FLASH\IEJYxxUSA", where "xx"represents the two digit flash level. Run "flash.cmd" to start BIOS update process.
    Is there some app to check for needed drivers and Bios?
    Thanks

For drivers, I would check the hardware manufacturer's web site. What happened when you tried to download the drivers for your model computer from Lenovo?

When you boot the computer, there should be an option to go into the BIOS setup. The version may be shown during the boot sequence, or it should be available when you are in the BIOS setup.

The usual rule with BIOS and driver updates is, if it isn't broken, don't fix it. If everything is working OK, and there are no important security issues that need to be fixed, then updates are probably not needed.

For drivers, I would check the hardware manufacturer's web site. What happened when you tried to download the drivers for your model computer from Lenovo?

When you boot the computer, there should be an option to go into the BIOS setup. The version may be shown during the boot sequence, or it should be available when you are in the BIOS setup.

The usual rule with BIOS and driver updates is, if it isn't broken, don't fix it. If everything is working OK, and there are no important security issues that need to be fixed, then updates are probably not needed.
    Thank you for answering, as I'm planning to upgrade from W8.1 to W10 (forced to do it from MS)
    I understand it would be better to have drivers and BIOS updated, in order to minimize problems.
    As you can see the bios is a 2014, as per drivers I really wouldn't know their condition. You say that if W8.1 is running fine, drivers must be ok, But after the upgrade, some drivers might not be ok for W10, how should I manage that problem, and how would I know which of the drivers is at fault?
    Lenovo Has a drivers/Bios automatic update system, detecting 2 drivers, but it could not install, same for Bios.
    Thanks again

PC SPECS
    W8.1 NS: 00258-61743-32505-AAOEM
    LENOVO-PC2
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4460 CPU @ 3.20GHz, 3201 Mhz, 4 core, 4 processori logici X64
    BIOS LENOVO IEKT26AUS, 22/07/2014 - SMBIOS 2.7
    (RAM) 4,00 GB
    Windows 8.1 Versione 6.3.9600 build 9600
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 745
    Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller - Ethernet 802.3
    CHKDSK C: /spotfix
    NVIDIA - Display - 12/29/2016 12:00:00 AM - 21.21.13.7654
    Last edited by cima2003; November 16th, 2021 at 12:28 PM.

How to find the current driver versions:

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/sol...n-windows-1087

You could make sure that you have the latest Windows 8.1 driver updates, then "upgrade" to Windows 10. I would download the Windows 10 drivers for your computer before the change to Windows 10, so they are available locally in case you do not have internet access.

To find links for a BIOS update and drivers for your computer, we would need the exact model number. There should be a sticker on the computer somewhere with that information. It may be in the documentation that should have shipped with the system also.

How to find the current driver versions:

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/sol...n-windows-1087

You could make sure that you have the latest Windows 8.1 driver updates, then "upgrade" to Windows 10. I would download the Windows 10 drivers for your computer before the change to Windows 10, so they are available locally in case you do not have internet access.

To find links for a BIOS update and drivers for your computer, we would need the exact model number. There should be a sticker on the computer somewhere with that information. It may be in the documentation that should have shipped with the system also.
    H50-50 Desktop (Lenovo) - Type 90B6 Model: 006GIX
    serial N. R300HP06
    Machine N. 90B6006GIX

Lenovo: out of warranty and approaching end of service.
    Assistance and Support : 0 months remaining.

Maybe reason for unsuccessful drivers/Bios update.
    But also could be that the VANTAGE upgrade system works only for W10.
    Thanks

Thread Information