Can Windows auto shut down?

Thread: Can Windows auto shut down?

Can Windows auto shut down?

I have a habit of leaving the computer on and going to sleep. wake up the next morning and the computer is on. Is there a key I can turn that will automatically shut it off at a certain time?

thanks, I'll take a look. I put a question in answers.microsoft have not received a reply.
    I found it under power and sleep.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/830757...posted-public/
    Last edited by Sal_gal; October 26th, 2017 at 03:27 AM.

I'm following up this thread bec I have more questions about Sleep and Shut down. I'm having problems with the new settings "sleep" because sometimes the computer doesn't want to wake up
    Anywho, what kind of wear & tear on the computer happens if it is "sleep", esp. sleep overnight; versus just shutting the computer down.
    I had expected to keep this computer another year, but I think maybe I should get another desktop (w/ more ram) next year. So can somebody explain what kind of wear on the machine sleep vs. shut down does.

The difference for me, with the higher cost of electricity in Wisconsin VS the price I paid in Grays Harbor county in Washington amounts to close to $240 a year.
    So, I shutdown.
    Been retired over 35 years so I tend to watch the pennies.

Had the 2 desktops built in 2012.

Most computers these days are getting at least some power to the motherboard even when shut down. In sleep or hibernate, the hard drive(s) and fans are shut down, so there is no wear on those, and you are saving some power. However, I have never gotten Sleep or Hibernate to work properly 100% of the time.

If you power off the computer, you don't have to worry about it waking up properly, but there is the boot time you have to wait through, though that should not be a significant wait. Shutting down and powering up can introduce some power surges as fan and drive motors start up, which can affect electronic components, but this should not be a huge issue either. My desktop systems are almost never powered off, and they have all lasted for longer than you probably keep yours. YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by Train View Post
    The difference for me, with the higher cost of electricity in Wisconsin VS the price I paid in Grays Harbor county in Washington amounts to close to $240 a year.
    So, I shutdown.
    Been retired over 35 years so I tend to watch the pennies.
    Thanks I forgot about the electricity used.

Thread Information