ICS won't work for me, why?

Thread: ICS won't work for me, why?

ICS won't work for me, why?

I have 2 PC's running Win 2000, set up on an ethernet, and they are trading files back and forth no problem. One machine is connected to a Telocity ADSL Gateway via USB port, and I have ICS enabled on this machine (on the Telocity connection, of course), and both machines seem to be configured correctly for sharing (automatically assign IP and everything else according to Microsoft instructions) however I cannot get any internet connection on the 2nd PC, only on the first one that's connected directly to the gateway.

I am wondering if this is a problem using the USB connection, maybe it would work if I installed a second NIC to connect to the gateway. Or could it be something else? Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Eric Kittell www.ayalounge.com

I too am haveing the same problem. From the client cpu, it will initiate the dialup on the host cpu but once connected to the internet will not pass the data to client.
    Host w2k, client 98se.

Bill

ICS doesn't work with WIN 2000 PRO !!!!
    Here is the prove just find the string about ICS with red color in the middle of the page !
    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/...figuration.htm

------------------
    The impossible is often the untried.
    The impossible is often the untried.

Um, that page refers to ICS Configurator, which is a third party program, separate from Microsoft's Internet Connection Sharing (ICS). The section you're refering to does say that ICS Configurator will not work with Win2000, but it also goes on to say that the reason it doesn't work is because Win2000 has ICS built in.

Having said that, thousands of people are happily running ICS on their Win2000 machines, but there are probably a similar number that are unable to run it. I've only personally configured ICS once, and it was on a machine with two NIC cards, so the config was fairly straight forward. I'd be willing to bet that the fact you're using a USB ADSL connection is confusing the issue. I've heard some people have trouble sharing a PPPoE connection on ADSL. Does Win2000 offer a sharing option in the properties for your ADSL connection?

Also, are you able to ping the Win2000 machine from the other machine?

KV

Thread Information