Laptop has no WinRE Can't install updates

Thread: Laptop has no WinRE Can't install updates

Laptop has no WinRE Can't install updates

I was getting the error message KB5028997 when trying install certain updates the fix was supposed to be to expand the partition in WinRE by 250MB.

So If followed instrucions on how to locate and expand the partition reagentc /info (as administrator) There is no such partition installed.

One site said I need to wipe my drive clean of all partiitons and reinstall windows but this is an HP Laptop I purchased from Walmart last year that came with no install disks

Any ideas on what I should do and how?

I do have the Win. 10 Pro recovery disk and Product key for my PC. Will that work? Can I use the same install for two units?

HP Laptop ProBook 650 G2
    Intel Core I7-6600U CPU @2.60 GHz
    16GB RAM 64bit OS x64 based processor
    Windows 10 Pro
    Last edited by rythymace; May 6th, 2024 at 11:54 PM.

The Windows Recovery Partition is normally hidden.

It is also possible that your laptop does not have a recovery partition. One can be created if that is the case.

https://www.tenforums.com/general-su...partition.html

Free partition manager tools:

https://www.lifewire.com/free-disk-p...-tools-2624950

Info link for KB5028997:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...9-24c8229763bf

Thanks for the info, I've been busy all day but will try to get the laptop out and work on the fix tonight. Luckliy it's not my main computer but a back up but I try to keep it charged up and updated so it's ready in case of power outage of if I travel somewhere. I'll let you know what worked and what didn't.

Let us know if you encounter any issues with creating or expanding the recovery partition.

As luck would have it I start working on this problem following the instructions here and my internet service goes out tonight so I'm not going to get it done this evening.
    HP Desktop PC
    64 bit Windows 10 Pro
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2100 CPU @ 3.10GHz 3.10 GHz
    8.00 GB RAM (7.89 GB usable)
    Installed on ‎1/‎15/‎2022

I apologize for not having gotten back to finish this but after my last post first my internet went completely out so no wifi for my laptop. I had the cable company out and they couldn't fix it because I had a bad neutral in my meter box and power was backfeeding through ground to the cable box and the cable guy got shocked. So they wouldn't come back till I got an electrictian to come and diagnose the problem which entailed a lot of back and forth and waiting.

And with all this I had mechanical problems with both my vehicles. Anyway long story short I just got power straightened out Sunday and then cable company had to run a complete new cable from the street to my house (300 feet ) .

So anyway tomorrow I plan to get the Laptop out and try and go through and get it sorted out hopefully and I'll let y'all know if I get it fixed or need more help. I can't even remember where I was in the process at this point. I have to start over again from scratch.
    HP Desktop PC
    64 bit Windows 10 Pro

Quote Originally Posted by rythymace View Post
    I apologize for not having gotten back to finish this but after my last post first my internet went completely out so no wifi for my laptop. I had the cable company out and they couldn't fix it because I had a bad neutral in my meter box and power was backfeeding through ground to the cable box and the cable guy got shocked. So they wouldn't come back till I got an electrictian to come and diagnose the problem which entailed a lot of back and forth and waiting.

And with all this I had mechanical problems with both my vehicles. Anyway long story short I just got power straightened out Sunday and then cable company had to run a complete new cable from the street to my house (300 feet ) .

So anyway tomorrow I plan to get the Laptop out and try and go through and get it sorted out hopefully and I'll let y'all know if I get it fixed or need more help. I can't even remember where I was in the process at this point. I have to start over again from scratch.

Well I worked on the laptop about 2 hours last night. Started trying to fix the problem in the cmd prompt as administrator. Still get that there is no Win RE partition.

Many of the commands I was told to enter resulted in "Invalid command" or the equivalent. I downloaded a partition manager but have no idea how to use it so I'm just going to let it stay like it is. At least for now. It's running fine and I only use it as back up anyway.

I used to be a Linux user and loved digging into customizing that OS and trying different distros etc but these days I just want my stuff to work I don' t want to have to work ON it.

Thanks for the help I just don't have the patience and know how these days.
    HP Desktop PC
    64 bit Windows 10 Pro

I understand your frustration with the KB5028997 error. Instead of wiping your drive, try using the Windows 10 Pro recovery disk you have. Boot your laptop from the recovery disk and follow the prompts to repair your system. You can use the same installation media for multiple units, but you'll need a separate product key for each device. If the issue persists, consider using a desktop application to manage your partitions more effectively. This approach should help you resolve the error without losing your data.

Thread Information