[RESOLVED] Create so can print pdf to a "User formatted" size label

Thread: [RESOLVED] Create so can print pdf to a "User formatted" size label

Resolved [RESOLVED] Create so can print pdf to a "User formatted" size label

I'm using Open Office to create shipping labels. I have to use the "mail merge" function to create the shipping labels because of sequential carton #s.

My shipping label size is 4"x6". When I do the mail merge "Print" it gives me the option to print to "Microsoft pdf" which works, however I can't set the page size of the pdf to a "user formatted" size such as 4x6 it only gives me standard, legal, letter etc sizes. Using the "export to pdf" does not help me either.

Am I missing a setting that I am not seeing to give me this option? This may be more of a Open Office issue but if I have for example an alternative to create the pdf from a plug-in like from Adobe Acrobat paid version this may be worth it. I will be doing this a lot each month. I am presently printing the labels and sending them via USPS to the customer and would prefer to send a pdf file which will cut down on the lead time of generating the labels and the customer receiving them in "order time".

It may be well worth purchasing the paid version of Acrobat but I don't know if it will provide this ability of changing the page size and if it will work with the mail merge print from Open Office "Writer".

Anyone have any experience with something like this that can just give me an idea of what to purchase in order for me to print my 4x6 labels to a pdf?

There are so many alternatives to Adobe such as Foxit Reader, Nitro PDF, Sumatra PDF, PDFelement, and PDF-XChange Editor but I can't tell which may do this.

Suggestions please.

One additional option might be to see if you can set the page size in Open Office to 4 x 6 and then print to .pdf.

JDC2000:
    Thanks as always for your great help!!
    I already tried setting the page size to 4x6 in Open Office but it converts it to 'letter', custom or "user" is not available.

I looked over the link you gave me in post #2.
    It involves altering/tweaking Windows system files and could get messy. We don't have an IT Dept so if something happens it is on me to correct it. I first have to get the ok from the boss to alter Windows system files as it is not my PC. I don't think he will want to do that. In the article it says that if you don't want to alter Windows system files to purchase the Adobe "Pro" version. We are considering that for only $29.99 a month. We would be billing the customer anyway so we will put the cost on them some how.

I will come back with what we ended up doing.

Thanks again JDC2000 as usual you have been a great help!!

Microsoft Word might be an option, and you would not have to pay a monthly fee. You should be able to set a custom page size in Word. You may want to try this if you have access to a computer with Word on it.

Quote Originally Posted by jdc2000 View Post
    Microsoft Word might be an option, and you would not have to pay a monthly fee. You should be able to set a custom page size in Word. You may want to try this if you have access to a computer with Word on it.
    We don't have "Word". We really have no need for it or Excel so we use Open Office for free which basically gives us the same thing with some exceptions that we don't need. We used 365 Excel last year for a project as we were receiving "xlsx" files which don't work well with Open Office; we since stopped our subscription. We may use 365 Excel again for another project this year coming up.

Our business scope is not consistent enough to invest in MS 365 "all programs" etc monthly as our business shifts from month to month. We work with Open Office and if need be will subscribe to 365 Excel or other as needed for that time frame. Excel 365 is like $8.25 a month (paid monthly, no annul contract/commitment) so it is worth it to switch when needed.

I would never use Office 365 as a subscription. You can get the perpetual licensed version for a one time fee on sale for a reasonable price.

For Open Office, try this:

https://forum.openoffice.org/en/foru...c.php?t=101273

Quote Originally Posted by jdc2000 View Post
    I would never use Office 365 as a subscription. You can get the perpetual licensed version for a one time fee on sale for a reasonable price.

For Open Office, try this:

https://forum.openoffice.org/en/foru...c.php?t=101273
    Good try JDC2000 - thanks again for your efforts!!
    Not quite what I need though after reading through it.

BUT

It did lead me to "Tweak Microsoft Print to Pdf" software ( Tweak Microsoft Print to PDF ). $10.00 one time cost. Let's you tweak MS Print to Pdf and create custom size pages which is what I need. I bought it for that price. I'll present this to the boss. I don't think he will have a problem with it being installed on his system (my work PC).

I'll report back in a few days to let the forum know on this post if it works for my needs so someone in the future doing a search will have this information for themselves.

If we do end up with 365 I will take your advice though on a perpetual license. Although I am not sure if the perpetual license is available for the desktop version of Excel which is what we need for the xlsx files. The cloud version never worked for this file type.

Thanks again!!
    P.S. Any idea yet when the function will work again of when there is a reply to my post I will receive an email notification. I have to keep this window open all the time to remember to come back to read possible replies. If I close it - well - out of sight out of mind.
    Last edited by question2012; March 26th, 2024 at 02:28 PM.

Office 2021 (and any Office since 2016 or even earlier) can open .xlsx and .docx files.

$231 on sale from NewEgg:
    https://www.newegg.com/microsoft-off...82E16832350865
    Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook

Without Outlook, $150
    https://www.newegg.com/microsoft-off...82E16832350864

Thanks for the links JDC2000

I will pass this information on to my boss.
    He makes the final decisions since he pays for it.

Have a good holiday.

UPDATE:
    To those who found this thread in a "Search" to create custom page sizes in "Microsoft Print to PDF".
    Tweak Microsoft Print to PDF <--- This program allows you to create customer page sizes. Normally "Microsoft Print to PDF" only has predefined page sizes such as "letter", "legal" etc. I installed and tested "Tweak Microsoft Print to PDF" today and it does work.

Thread Information