[RESOLVED] Suggestions to get Internet service at a remote vacation home

Thread: [RESOLVED] Suggestions to get Internet service at a remote vacation home

Resolved [RESOLVED] Suggestions to get Internet service at a remote vacation home

Vacation home located in NE Penn (out in the stricks).
    Home is located far off the street so trenching to run Internet cable from street to home is quoted at about $6,000.00 by Internet Provider.
    Home used 1 or 2 weekends per month.
    Cell Service in area is AT&T carrier.

My friend owns a vacation home and I am trying to figure out a way for him to get Internet service at his home.

From what I remember satellite Internet is not fast at all and it is very expensive for the few times a month he will be at his house for the weekends.

My thought was for him to purchase a GSM unlocked phone and use AT&T service (Unlimited Data plan for seniors - about $45/month). Leave the phone at the house set up so when he gets there no need to hook things up each time.

My thought overall is to set the phone up as a hot spot and then connect devices to the phone.

Does this sound like a viable way to do this so he can watch Netflix, YouTube etc?

Can a router connect to the hot spot from the cell phone so then he can have WiFi. There would only be about 2 people connecting to the Internet usually?

If the idea of buying a GSM unlocked phone is valid then does it really matter what brand/model phone he gets in the way of one phone can get better speeds (cellular data) than others or are they really all the same?

Any other ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

If CELL Service is decent, one of these new types of service is something you might look at:

Reliable 5G home internet that’s simple to set up.

https://www.t-mobile.com/home-intern...c8543989cd74cf
    If you're happy and you know it......it's your meds.

Thanks for the link Steve for TMob Home Int.
    His address is not available for this service at this time.

Any other ideas?

AT&T and Verizon also have the service.

Thanks Steve I will check both out.

Does he have a neighbor that he trusts nearby that he could ask to share an existing internet connection? They could set up a passworded wireless signal boosting antenna for your friend to use exclusively.

https://www.familyhandyman.com/proje...signal-3-ways/

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

I'm totally confused now

Verizon is no good in this area to begin with so we will discount Verizon all together.

ATT is the carrier in this area that dominates it with good coverage. He is out in the sticks and actually his address is incorrect in Google Maps as far as physical location which complicates things even more. We are going by the formal address for USPS and to what address he is registered at with USPS so he is delivered mail. According to ATT 5G coverage his home is located well within 5G coverage but Home cell Internet which requires 5G it is not available. I just don't know what to believe at this point.

Also, I don't understand after reading and reading the difference between "ATT Home Cell Internet" plan coverage and "ATT 5G cell coverage". Home Internet cell plan shows his address does not qualify but 5G which is required for Home cell Internet qualifies (within his area from strongly within his address outward for many square miles). I have Googled the diff between ATT Home cell Internet and ATT cell 5G and can't figure out what the heck is the difference.

He gets 5G at his home which he says he does with ATT. What is the major advantage which I still can't figure out - between Home Cell Internet and 5G cell coverage. Meaning, if he uses a cell phone
    which has 5G coverage as his hot spot in his home compared to using a plan for Home Cell Internet?

I understand that some plans even just a regular cell plan for 5G will give the same amount of Gigs per month but some plans may slow the speed down after a certain amount of Gigs are used. But I don't understand how this relates to Home Internet Cell plans. Google just is not giving me a distinct difference from one to the other.

If 5G by ATT is available at his home and he buys a GSM unlocked phone and sets that up as a "hot spot" and then connects to a router will that give him Internet broadcasted by WiFi to other devices? As far as data limitations he will have to pick a plan that will give him unlimited data but also a plan where aftr a certain amount of Gigs used the speed won't be reduced - this I understand.

Urgh - a little clarification between "ATT 5G coverage" and "ATT Home Internet Cell coverage" as to which is better and why please.

Cellular Internet service would be the way to go if it is available.

Another option:

https://www.cnet.com/home/internet/s...ternet-review/

Thanks JDC2000 - Starlink is out of the question because of cost but thanks for the suggestion though.

You say:
    "Cellular Internet service would be the way to go if it is available."
    JDC this is what confuses me. I can't seem to grasp the difference between:

"Cellular Internet service:" and "Home Cellular Internet service"
    To me they are both the same; but maybe I am wrong. Please help me understand as what I am reading in my searches are really not explaining the differences.
    To me both would be that you use a cell phone for Internet connection.
    What the heck is the difference though? Yikes! I must be missing something.

"Cellular Internet service" and "Home Cellular Internet service" -> SAME THING

"ATT Home cell Internet and ATT cell 5G" -> Internet Service and CELL PHONE Service

Now I am really confused - yikes!!

I'm sorry but I am really confused now. I am just not seeing the different between "Home Cell Service" and "Cell phone service"; isn't Home Sell Service from a Cell phone?

Please see my image:
    "Cellular Internet service" and ATT cell 5G ---> aren't these two the same things?
    "ATT Home cell Internet and "Home Cellular Internet service" ---> aren't these two the same things?

This confusion is what is causing me not to understand when I read plans from one service to the other.

I saw an ATT plan for home cell internet service and regular cell phone with ATT service 5G using the phone's internet as a hot spot. What the heck is the difference?

Urgh, not trying to be difficult but I just don't get it and the prices have a wide range so I don't even know what to look at or why one is better than the other or even the differences.

At his vacation house with his ATT carrier cell phone he does get 5G service.
    Attached Images Attached Images

"Cellular Internet service" and ATT cell 5G ---> aren't these two the same things?

NO

"ATT Home cell Internet and "Home Cellular Internet service" ---> aren't these two the same things?

YES

See what is available at the location you need:

https://www.att.com/internet/internet-air/

Thanks JDC2000 for the Internet Air suggestion but his address is not workable for this service yet.

I think after the researching and the suggestions here (thanks to Steve, JDC2000 and Fink). Appreciated!!
    HughesNet and ViaSat seem to provide from what I have read (my friend will call then to verify) good plans (inexpensive and good speeds) considering satellite services.

Fink: His neighbor that would be close to him is about 6-10 acres away as the crow flies. So even a bridge I don't think would work and they are even far away from the street/utility poles so I don't even know if they have internet service.

Keeping our fingers crossed.
    Last edited by question2012; March 8th, 2024 at 04:00 PM.

I marked this thread "Resolved". I did it because we don't get notification of replies.
    He is going to investigate HughesNet and ViaSat more at this point which seems to be the better option for now.

Thanks for the help. Much appreciated!!

Thread Information