VLC DILEMMA
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: VLC DILEMMA

VLC DILEMMA

I'm not sure if this is the right spot to post or not. I have a VLC problem. Several TV series that I installed an external HD for viewing will not open via VLC, but I cannot open, move, or even delete. When I try to open via VLC, I get a long list of reasons why it cannot open the file. Also, when I try to move or delete the files, I get a message stating that I need the administrators permission to to do so. I have lots of TV series programs & I have no trouble whatsoever, except for these 3 or 4 programs. Any help would sure be appreciated.. Thanks
    Where there's a will, there's a way

It sounds like, for whatever reason, your user account does not have permission to view the files. I assume that it is an Administrator account.

Possibly useful link:

https://www.howtogeek.com/301768/how...rs-in-windows/

From what I can see: I have full control but where the problem exists, it states that I need to get the administartors permission to do whatever. I run this pc 24/7 year in and year out with no difficulty. I wonder why now & only a few programs involved.?

I went into the properties & the securities of one of the tainted folder & when I tried to take control of same, I got this message: "An error occured while applying security to: (folder name). Finding Mabuhay.avi Failed to enumerate objects in the container. Access denied." Everything else on my PC, I have full control........

Try copying the problematic files to another folder and see what happens.

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

Can you get properties of these files?
    Security permissions of files and/or drive?

Can you get properties of these files?
    Security permissions of files and/or drive?

Ran into a database error

Database Error Database error
    The database has encountered a problem.
    Please try the following:
    Load the page again by clicking the Refresh button in your web browser.
    Open the discussions.virtualdr.com home page, then try to open another page.
    Click the Back button to try another link.
    The discussions.virtualdr.com forum technical staff have been notified of the error, though you may contact them if the problem persists.

We apologise for any inconvenience.

Ran into a database error

Database Error Database error
    The database has encountered a problem.
    Please try the following:
    Load the page again by clicking the Refresh button in your web browser.
    Open the discussions.virtualdr.com home page, then try to open another page.
    Click the Back button to try another link.
    The discussions.virtualdr.com forum technical staff have been notified of the error, though you may contact them if the problem persists.

We apologise for any inconvenience.
    Same here.

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

This happens to be the strangest thing that I have ever encountered. I have this little drive (WD My Passport) that I use to store movies & TV series to watch on our TV screen via a PC connected to the TV.

I find TV series etc, install them on my main PC (the I'm using here) look for & install sub-titles for same (because of impaired hearing) on main PC. Once I have completed & checked the TV series or movie, I transfer them to my WD Passport ext HD. Been doing this for years. But now I find 11 of these TV series that I had downloaded to my main PC, checked out, added sub-titles, tested & then transfered to my WD Passport ext. HD.

I am unable to read, delete, copy or transfer any of these files. I have tried all of the recommended suggestions to no avail. So far, the only solution that I can see, would be to perhaps transfer all the files that would be OK ,to another drive & then see if Diskpart would clean the drive & start over. I will lose those TV series that I collected.

I found at least one of these contaminated series stored on another drive & it is OK.

However, I will hold off making this move in the event there might be another way. Thanks for your time.........

Perhaps it's because of My age. I recently turned 90....LOL

If you can actually see the files in question and the directory entries for them have not been corrupted, you may be able to transfer them by using some software that ignores file permissions. You could try Recuva first on the drive. A Live Linux OS might also be able to see and transfer the files, or something like Acronis might also work.

I will certainly give it a try. Thanks much, for all the help.

If you have video editing or transcoding software I'd attempt changing the file format (example .mp4 to .avi or .mkv). Make sure to keep a backup of the original files.

Much more involved is using current files from the nightly build releases from VLC. I'd post the link to them but it's far too easy to totally screw up VLC if you don't know what to do. Have you tried reinstalling VLC?

Adding Take Ownership may do the trick as well: https://www.revouninstaller.com/user...ake-ownership/
    Last edited by Goatse; February 24th, 2024 at 09:55 PM.
    Raptor Lake Refresh i7 14700k @ 5.8GHz. ASRock Z790 Steel Legend WiFi. 96GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR5 6400. Asus Tuff OC 4090. Windows 11 Enterprise. Modded Corsair Graphite 780T. Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420. https://www.passmark.com/baselines/V...d=202122048229

UPDATE;

I lucked out on the situation. I found out that I had stored the corrupted files my main PC & rather cut & pasted, I had just copied the files to my Ext Passport HD.

So I emptied the Pass Port, did a Diskpart clean, reformatted & now all is well. I also deleted VLC & reinstalled. VLC must have been the culpret. I've used VLC for many years

& have never had this happen before. Once again, thanks for all the help..................

"Where's There's a Will, There's a Way"

WHOOPS!

I thought I was out of the woods. Not Yet. I find that I still have a problem with VLC. When I deleted & reinstalled VLC, I ticked 'clear all cache files' as well. I also deleted the VLC folder under "Program Files" in C:/.

And I also went into the registry & deleted all files related to VLC. Plus I used CCleaner to clean the regestry also.

Then I reinstalled VLC 3.0.20 & found that there was still a mountain of recent media files stilled retained in VLC. In checking VLC, I find that the " Open Media Center " is greyed out. ???

I have done this twice now to no avail ? Where have I missed the boat? Thanks once again.

Vertual Dr. doesn't seem to want to retain my PW. I have to re-enter each time?

"Where there's a will, there's a way "

Resolved;

I finally found out how to fix this latest problem. I did some searching via my cell phone & found by clicking an open space on desktop, then start, then "show recently opened items in Jump List or Start in taskbar

and toggle off. It worked !! However, I wonder if these files are still hidden somewhere on the PC? If so, I cannot find them anywhere.

I also want to keep Microsoft from upgrading this PC to 11. I have heard that they have deliberately upgraded some PCs, without the permission of the owner. How can I stop this from happening??

As I mentioned in a post sometime last year, I did upgrade this PC to 11. It was the biggest mistake ever!. The PC was never the same. Long story.. I eventually went back to 10. A great relief!!

Some say, "you'll be sorry" blaw,blaw,blaw. I'll wait & see. They said the same thing about windows 7. I have a PC running Windows 7 & I can do just about everthing with it as I do with windows 10.

Anyway, thanks again & have a good week.............

Thread Information