Deleted files

Thread: Deleted files

Deleted files

What ho one and all,

Just trying to understand the way a computer keeps file names.

Trying to find a file that although I did not delete, i did accidentally overwrite and rename and it seems my usual back-up regime has not worked. But not a big deal as it is only a last year electricity bill.

Used Recuva to try and find it, and in the directory, it found over 11,000 files, dating from 2015. Virtually all registered as unrecoverable.

But why are all these files, that I obviously do not need and cannot recover, even have their file name listed. I know it does not take much space, but why?

Thanks and toodle pip

The good news, as you know, is that the files are invisible to ALL users unless you use an app like Recuva.

And for a period of time, the files can be recovered. Think of it as a safety net.

SIDE NOTE: -> difference between Delete and Shift Delete

Key Difference: Both options delete the file. Delete relocates the file to the Recycle Bin, whereas Shift Delete permanently deletes the file.
    If you're happy and you know it......it's your meds.

Recuva looks through the directory structure and checks entries marked as deleted. If you have a lot of deleted files (everyone does), then it will find a lot of entries.

You'll likely find that most of those deleted files are data and graphics from your browsers emptied/deleted cache over time.
    Don't believe everything you think.

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

Thanks. Did not know about the Shift/Delete option. Did know that regular deleting sends to the recycle bin with the good possibility of recovery. But I don't see why file names, with no change of recovery, dated around a decade ago, who still be listed.

All the advertising c++p that come through my letter box gets discarded. i have never thought about that super-soft mattress cover flyer that was delivered eight years ago (I made that up, I'm not thinking about it!)

But I don't see why file names, with no change of recovery, dated around a decade ago, who still be listed.
    Those file entries are still listed because that directory entry still exists flagged as Deleted in the space allocated for directory entries on the hard drive. Until those directory entries are overwritten with new entries, they will continue to exist. Since you are unlikely ever to completely fill up the directory space (which would be very bad if it happened), Recuva and other similar utilities will continue to find them.

Thanks. I know that until overwritten, the file still exists, only the name (or space) flagged as available but did not think that the name would still be recorded. .

Thread Information