DVD to mkv

Thread: DVD to mkv

DVD to mkv

What ho one and all,

I have used Handbrake to convert a DVD (three episodes of a TV series) to MKV. All seems to be OK except all three episodes are one one MKV file.

How can I either configure Handbrake to just convert each episode or is there a way to create three from the one?

Thanks and toodle pip

Not easy at all. The MKV is a container file that has all the elements of each episode in a disassembled mode.

Separate video, audio, subtitles and anything else that it needs to run. You could extract each element of each episode but then you'd need to combine each one individually to play as a single file. I doubt there's any easy way of doing that.

eg:

https://www.videohelp.com/software/I...ract#changelog

https://superuser.com/questions/3161...ing-mkvextract
    Don't believe everything you think.

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

If anything, you could cut each episode to a separate mkv file with Avidemux. There is a portable version also.

https://portableapps.com/apps/music_...demux-portable
    Open Avidemux
    Click the Open Video button
    Browse to your source video file and click Open

Drag or use the arrow keys to move the time marker to the START point
    Use the DOUBLE-ARROW buttons to go to the nearest keyframe
    Click the [A button to set the START point

Drag or use the arrow keys to move the time marker to the END point
    Use the DOUBLE-ARROW buttons to go to the nearest keyframe
    Click the B] button to set the END point

*Important! Make sure to use the nearest keyframe or you'll get an "end point of the cut is not on a keyframe" error

Under Output Format, choose the file type that matches the source. (MKV Muxer)

Click the Save button
    Choose a destination folder
    Enter a name for the video (Ex. Episode#)
    Click Save
    Click OK

Gentlemen. Thanks. And I thought it was pretty much like editing a length of 8mm film.

Oh well, If it is easier to keep the three episodes as one file, then I will just have to scroll through until I find the start of the next section. Alternatively, binge-watch!!!

Will give a Avidemux a try.

Tried Avidemux and although it is quite simple, can't quite get my head around how to select the part I want. Every attempt seems to be copying the same section.

However, have yet to try but the answer may be simpler than I thought. handbrake, once the DVD has been loaded, under Titles, I can select each episode based upon the time. since all episode are around 50 mins, just select, add to the queue and hit the Go button.

Will update when I have tried.

I'm not sure where the confusion is. In Avidemux, drag the time marker to where you want to Start, and then use the DOUBLE-ARROW buttons to select the nearest key frame. Set the Start point by clicking [A. Do the same thing for the End with B]. And then save the section a separate file (Ep01, Ep02, Ep03, etc).

Sounds like you are adding chapter markers to the file in HandBrake. It would still be 1 big file, but you could jump to the next chapter marker.
    In VLC, you can press SHIFT+N to go the next chapter or SHIFT+P to go to the previous chapter.

Thanks for the updates. Agreed the Avidemux is not difficult but having a problem understanding, when I have selected the A and B, think I have been cutting rather than saving.

But have found that Handbrake will save the individual episodes. Only problem I have with HB is that there is no way of knowing the size of the final mp4 or mkv file. My aim is to condense all the DVD files (vob files, 12 episodes per season, three episodes per DVD disk) to mp4 or mkv of around 350mb each to fit on one disk.

Don't I have better things to do? You bet!!!!

Thread Information