Disconnecting Microsoft office
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Disconnecting Microsoft office

Disconnecting Microsoft office

On my computers, I never connected Microsoft Office to my login and such. I was asked if I had, when, at one point, my laptop locked me out and refused to accept my password (which I KNEW was the correct one). I brought it to the shop and they "fixed" it, after asking me if I had my login linked to Office, which I didn't.

Now, since one recent Windows update, I notice that my Outlook SEEMS to be logged in, although I have a Login button in Word, or Excel.

On my Outlook, if I click on that icon with my initials, I am directed to https://login.microsoftonline.com/ where I am asked to sign in (so am I logged in or not??)

I have Windows 10, and Office 2019.

I don't want/need my Office programs to be linked to any Microsoft online things. Can I /Should I do something to NOT have anything associated with it?

Thanks.

Are you getting emails? If so, seems like you're good to go.

Have you seen the many articles like this one:

New Office 2019 login troubles and how to fix them
    https://office-watch.com/2020/new-of...w-to-fix-them/
    If you're happy and you know it......it's your meds.

I do get the emails correctly, however, I have another "question" related to this: whenever I reboot the computer, I keep getting asked to "set up my PC". I never had to do that before, so I am afraid one of those "setup" might link to that online Microsoft. Is that what would happen or is that totally separate from that?

Are you logging in to Windows using a Microsoft account or a Local account? That may make a difference in what the "Finish Setting Up Your Computer" process will do. You can just tell it to set up later each time also.

Quote Originally Posted by jdc2000 View Post
    Are you logging in to Windows using a Microsoft account or a Local account? That may make a difference in what the "Finish Setting Up Your Computer" process will do. You can just tell it to set up later each time also.
    As far as I know, I log in with a local account, and yes, so far, I keep clicking "Later" every time. I am just worried i partially set it up once, by clicking Enter, when I shouldn't. But so far, I can keep clicking "Later", and be careful not to press Enter at that point.

Thank you. That was helpful.

While I was following those instructions, I noticed that when clicking on the Search field, I get a "Verify your account" with a work email I used to use. I have retired from work 2 years ago, so I can't seem to find a way to eliminate that. I can't verify it. I can't manage it (it asks me to log in). I can't delete it.

Anything I should/could do? Or just ignore it?

Which step on which instructions link are you getting the "verify your account" message on? That should not appear when you are just getting rid of the annoying Microsoft request to set up things that you do not want. Which method are you using? You could try the Registry key method.

Which step on which instructions link are you getting the "verify your account" message on? That should not appear when you are just getting rid of the annoying Microsoft request to set up things that you do not want. Which method are you using? You could try the Registry key method.
    When I click on the Search field, I get this:
    VerifyAccount.jpg

And when I hover over the C, I see my old work email address.

Where are you clicking on a "search field"?

What "C" are you hovering over?

I have not seen the image you posted anywhere on anything that I am using. You can manage Notifications by clicking on the Start button, scrolling down to Settings and clicking on that, then click System, and selecting Notifications and Actions on the left.

Please give us detailed information on exactly what you are clicking on to get that "verify your account" message. Remember, we cannot see your computer screen or what you might be clicking on, so make your description like a Russian novel: Long, boring, and full of tragedy.

Here is a detailed as I can. I recorded a Loom video:
    https://www.loom.com/share/3aba31864...4-d95a36c9fe05

I will have to check that out later today at home. I cannot access that while at work.

OK, that magnifying glass icon on the taskbar is Microsoft's Search icon. It should never be used since it searches only where Microsoft wants you to search, and only looks for what Microsoft wants you to look for.

If you are following the instructions on the first link in post #6, click on Start > Settings > System > Notifications.

Link #2 has a method for using the Registry editor also.

OK, that magnifying glass icon on the taskbar is Microsoft's Search icon. It should never be used since it searches only where Microsoft wants you to search, and only looks for what Microsoft wants you to look for.

If you are following the instructions on the first link in post #6, click on Start > Settings > System > Notifications.

Link #2 has a method for using the Registry editor also.
    Thank you for the information about the Microsoft's Search Icon. I didn't know it was linked that way. Is there any way (or reason) to disconnect from that unused address?

And for the notifications, yes, I did disable that using that link. It works fine.

As asked in the previous post, is there any way (or reason) to disconnect from an unused address? (the address that shows is no longer valid so I would not even be able to log in anyways).

Thread Information