Big Problem !!

Thread: Big Problem !!

Big Problem !!

I am having to send this message on a spare PC. Microsoft Has screwed up my main PC whereas I cannot do anything with it. Microsoft recently updated windows 10 but tried to force me to upgrade to windows 11. It went so far as to not let me freely get out of the upgrade & I had to power off the pc in order top clear Microsoft's ad.
    Now when I try to get on a website, it will not directly connect me. Instead, it adds the URLs up at the top of the screen & I have to access the web by clicking on the same.
    I tried to connect to Virtual DR. & the print was so small, I could not read. It also would not allow me to print this message. Every app or setting seems to have pink around them.
    I wanted to do a system restore but there seem to be no option for that. Any suggestions on how to start resolving this. Thanks much for your time............
    Where there's a will, there's a way

Unfortunately, System Restore is not enabled by default in Windows 10 or 11, since Microsoft does not want you to recover from issues such as this. You should enable it once you have everything fixed, but unless you previously enabled it, you will not be able to use it now since there are no restore points.

https://www.thewindowsclub.com/syste...estore-windows

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-u...ore-windows-10

I assume that you only have Edge as a web browser. If you have something else installed also, try using that for web access. The Snipping Tool should be available to capture the screen so we can see what is happening.

If you right-click on the Start button, and select Command Prompt, then enter winver and press Enter, it should show you what version of Windows you have. Post that information here.

You can try adjusting the screen resolution and/or the scaling so you can read things.

You can also download the Firefox installer on your other computer and then transfer it using a flash drive to the problem computer, then install it. Then you can quit using Edge.

Once you get everything fixed again, it may be time to start a using an image backup program monthly before Patch Tuesday. You can also prevent the Windows 11 "upgrade" using the following information:

https://www.howtogeek.com/765377/how...on-windows-10/

Do you have an installation DVD or flash drive for Windows 10?

Thanks for the reply. I use Google for my internet use. But it is really screwed up at this point. Was wondering if I uninstalled & reinstalled Google, if that would help? I used to use Firefox many years ago but have been using Google since. I do have the product ID in the event I would have to do a reinstall. As for right clicking to obtain a CMD prompt, it will not allow me to do that.
    I've got other matters to take of today, but will work on it later in the day.Thanks jdc........

Are you referring to Google Chrome?

Do you have a round Red Yellow, and Green icon on your desktop for this?
    Having only one web browser is not a good idea. You always need a backup, in case of errors with updates.

If you right-click on the Start button and select Run, you can enter cmd to get a Command Prompt or enter winver to run that command.

To do a reinstall, you would need some installation media, either a DVD or a flash drive set up to do this. I will post some info on how to create these later.

Update: I was able to finally do a restore point on the PC. I also reinstalled Chrome. It appears that by signing into my Microsoft account, I was able top accomplish this.
    Anyway, all is good except for the Vertualdr.com. When I log onto the site, the print is so tiny, I can barely read it. No other site has this problem. And it only occurred
    when I started having the PC problem. Perhaps clearing it from the registry & reinstalling would fix it ?? Thanks again..........

It's easy to zoom in to a page with chrome on one site or all....

https://support.google.com/chrome/an...form%3DDesktop

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

Worked like a charm. Thanks for the advise. One last query. Should I bite the bullet & go for Win 11. Or should I stay with 10?? I know support runs out in a year or so.
    I am running Win 11 on this secondary PC & still learning to use it. However, my main PC has all my important stuff & am not sure how Win 11 would handle it all.
    Being that I am pushing 90 years, makes me wonder: would the change be worth it ?? Thanks again.........

I would stick with Win 10 until forced to abandon it when they stop security updates. It's quite stable now and I refuse to be an unpaid beta tester for Microsoft and find early problems with Win 11.

Thanks fink. Have a great weekend.........

You're welcome. You too.

Thread Information