[RESOLVED] Molasses is speedy in comparison

Thread: [RESOLVED] Molasses is speedy in comparison

Resolved [RESOLVED] Molasses is speedy in comparison

I have an ACER Aspire TC-605 with an Intel Core i5 and running Windows 10 and using Chrome

This has always been a light use PC (checking email and basically visiting two or three sites daily. Up until about six months ago, it was very quick and reliable. Websites opened fast and without issue. Now, some basic websites that I always used, like MSN, take forever to open, if they open at all. And if it does open and I click on a story they are featuring, it doesn't open. Unfortunately, one of my main e:mail addresses is tied to MSN.

I have run my virus protection and my spyware detector and they say everything is clear. I even did a System Restore, although it wouldn't let me go back too far.

At this point, I am kind of at a loss. This PC has gone from being a reliable daily tool to a frustrating machine good only to play CDs. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Are you sure it's the pc and not the internet connection?

Fast.com to quickly check internet speed. Have you tried installing a new/different browser or using the built-in Edge browser? Temp disabled your antivirus program in case it's corrupted and slowing things down?

Are there other computers on your home network? If so are they running normally? Also if you're wireless try hooking the computer up to the modem/router with a cable in case there's new wireless interference.

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

I don't believe it is a internet provider issue. I run speed tests occasionally and they're always OK. Today, using Fast.com, it's 85Mbps.This PC is wired directly to the modem. My laptop is not experiencing these same problems. I use Chrome on it as well. Another irritating problem is I use MSN as my homepage and it is also the link to one of my e:mail accounts. When I first access the internet, MSN does usually load, but ir I click on any of the stories and try to return to the main page, it will not load again. Also, it will not load my e:mail account. Some websites load normally and others won't load at all and I get the message "The connection to masn.com is not secure. You are seeing this warning because this site does not support HTTPS." Then I will get a message that there is no internet connection, when there obviously is. I get that first message on my laptop occasionally as well, but the laptop is a lot less problematic as far as loading websites. I take it Edge is fast and reliable. I may have to switch as I suspect Chrome might be the issue.

Edge is based on the same basic engine as Chrome. You may want to try Firefox to see what happens there. You can get a portable version if you do not want to install Firefox.

Also, what DNS servers are you using? If you are using your ISP's DNS servers, you may want to try switching to Google's or another free DSN provider to see if that makes a difference.

I'm sorry. I don't know the answer to that. I am using the modem/router provided to me by my internet provider. I spoke with me wife who rarely uses this PC but when I showed her what was happening, she said that never happened to her and she also uses Chrome. I used to use Firefox and have it installed. I will give it a try, and see if I have the same issue.

Open a Command Prompt window and enter the command below to see what DNS Servers are being used:

Code:
    ipconfig /all
    How to change DNS Servers:

https://www.zdnet.com/article/how-to...ur-windows-pc/

Since shutting down some of the chrome extensions, the pc is running quite a bit faster. I still occasionally get a warning from chrome about opening a website they have a problem with, no matter how benign, but I can live with that I guess. Thanks for all your help with this matter.

I've been coming to this site since 1999. I've always gotten great help from you guys. I tried to access you a couple of years ago to no avail and was afraid you had shut down. So glad you haven't.

Thread Information