Infected pc?

Thread: Infected pc?

Infected pc?

I guess this belongs here. This may be somewhat of a long story, but feel I should talk about it with someone here.
    I was a victim of a hacking several months ago. My pc had little function as many sites required an unknown Microsoft password to gain access to different programs. In fact, you really hardly noticed something was wrong. I could surf the web, play my card games, check email, etc.

But I didn't like what happened to me so I changed out pc's. I had a backup sitting on the floor waiting to be used, so I hooked it up and have a good pc now.
    Months go by and I decided to change out the 500 ssd with a 1 terabyte ssd of the infected pc. I was thinking all the infection was on the ssd so I swapped it out. I go to install Windows 10 and had a time with it. It seemed every time you started the pc it would go to a Windows 10 logo with a bunch of dots going around in a circle. It was stuck there.

So I pressed Reset and went into the Bios immediately to get it to boot from a dvd rom. But there were still little problems trying to install Windows 10 from dvd, but after a while and to keep trying I finally got Windows 10 on it.
    Something was still wrong with it though. I couldn't install all my desktop programs like I used to. So I said the hec with it and swapped out pc's again so I would have a good working one at hand.

In a paragraph earlier I said the pc was infected. I guess that is a good way to put it. Perhaps just changing out the ssd wasn't enough. I also read where motherboards can become infected too. Something tells me that the hacker did a real number on the pc, though operable somewhat.

I hate to leave the infected pc on the floor covered up with towels. There are good parts inside that thing. A 4.2 cpu, 600 watt ps, 32 gigs ram, a graphics card and the 1 terabyte ssd. Could the ssd be reinfected by the motherboard? I honestly don't know. And with all I have said here, what do you say?

What is the best way to handle this? I don't think the pc is junk just yet. But what can I do? How would I know if my motherboard was infected? I really want to keep the pc and fix it. I'm just stuck on what to fix exactly. I am open to suggestions. And thanks for your help.

We may need some additional information in order to assist,

When you reinstalled Windows on a new SSD in the suspect computer, what happened when you tried to install your application software? Details and any error messages would be useful.

Also, when you reinstalled Windows, you probably used the same Windows license key. Please verify if this is the case. I hope you used a Local user account, and not a Microsoft user account. If you used a Microsoft account, and it was the same one as previously used, that could be a problem as it may still be compromised.

Post the make and model of the computer or motherboard. If the BIOS or UEFI is infected, there may be a way to reflash it.

Thread Information