New Router

Thread: New Router

New Router

What ho one and all,

I am changing my broadband supplier and as is usual when doing so, I have been supplied with a new router.

Why does every BB supplier have is own branded router? Surely if the existing router is working, it should work with a new BB supplier?

In the environmental conscience 21st century world, can I do anything with the old router other than discard it?

Thanks and toodle pip

It very well "may" work with the new company. Did you look on their site to see if they have an approved list?

And then there's the part about you needing service and them asking about the router..... Not theirs - well there you go - problem solved.
    If you're happy and you know it......it's your meds.

What's the model no's of the old and new routers? Are they modem/router combos or separate units?

You could have a look on places like ebay to see if there are any like the older one for sale and at what price to get an idea if there's a market for it. Here in Canada there are services that will dispose of old useless electronics in an environmentally safe way.

If you sell it or give it away make sure you delete all info on it. You don't want things like your IP address or your login or wifi passwords to be seen by others. An owner's manual will tell you how to reset it to factory specs with no user info showing.. usually a pinhole button to be depressed for 30 seconds on the back of the unit.

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

Thank for the replies. I don't think there is any 'value' in the old router; it looks pretty boring, Sagemcom on the front, 4 x Ethernet ports and wi-fi but certainly not a design icon.

I have a few routers in a storage box, all as supplied by the ISP.

As an aside, since all customers of any ISP are usually provided with a router, why are there so many 3rd party routers with all the bells and whistles available? What does an all singing and dancing router do that my basic ones do not?

Security and performance upgrades on router/communication/wireless tech happens regularly. It's best to keep up with these things esp for online safety and privacy.

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

Frequently tell my wife that I have had a performance upgrade and that is why I am is need more friends with benefits, but she will not consider ti.

Thread Information