[RESOLVED] IR to RF converter

Thread: [RESOLVED] IR to RF converter

Resolved [RESOLVED] IR to RF converter

The sound system I just bought requires the remote to be pointed (line of sight) to the subwoofer which controls the speakers etc. Layout of the rooms does not allow for convenient remote control use. Have to get up to actually aim the remote at the subwoofer to adjust the speakers etc.

I looked on Amazon for some type of a IR to RF converter but I can't tell one from the other.
    Is there anything that I can get from Amazon where I can place a device in front of me next to the TV that I can aim the remote at that will generate or transmit via cable even to a device that aims at the subwoofer so I can just aim the remote at the TV (straight ahead) and adjust the speakers etc as I am watching TV as needed without the subwoofer having to be in the line of sight.

Thanks

Not sure about any device but at work I rigged a way to be able to control an inconveniently placed, ceiling mounted video projector. I just taped a 6 inch square piece of aluminum foil on the front of the projector to reflect the IR to the front of the unit from behind.
    Attached Images Attached Images

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

Haa haa haa haa - believe it or not I was thinking about mounting a few cheap mirrors here and there to reflect the signals - I thought I was crazy when I thought that - now I know I am with your suggestion - "in the line of sight">>>> Hee Hee Hee

Don't take this wrong. I mean in a joking manner your idea was like mine. I didn't think anyone else would come up with that idea
    Last edited by question2012; January 11th, 2023 at 11:36 AM.

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

Possibly useful link:

https://www.audioreputation.com/ir-remote-extenders/

Note that you do not necessarily need an IR to RF and back to IR converter as long as the IR receiver is not inside a closet and is visible to an IR transmitter somewhere in the room. An IR repeater or extender system should work fine if the IR receiver is visible.

jdc2000
    Thanks for the link in post #5.
    I read through most of it but my head is spinning as to what I should really get to accomplish what I need done. Way too technical for me so far. I look at the listings and then at all of the parts that come with it and I don't know what is what.

My reading comprehension is not so good anymore when it comes to all of that.

Again, I appreciate your link. What I have done is I sent an email to the seller asking them to provide me with a link to a product on Amazon that will solve my issue. They know their system better than anyone else. I paid over $180 for this. If they can't take a few minutes and give me a link to a product that will help me then I more than likely will return it. I included in the email that no where in the listing does it state that the remote is IR and not RF based. So many products now a days are RF based you just assume they are when you order them.

I'll wait a couple of days to get an answer from them.

Urgh!!

All you need is a repeater setup where you can place the IR receiver part of the repeater some place where you would normally aim your remote control at, and then be able to place the IR emitter in a position that is aimed at where the device you want to control is actually located.

You can't go too far wrong with the unit at the link below as it is only $11

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07LC7HVHW/

Check the images for it and the reviews.

Thanks jdc2000 - I just ordered the device you gave me the link to in post #7.

So much appreciated!!

jdc2000 = received the device I ordered from your suggestion in post #7 - PERFECT!!
    Just what the doctor ordered. Works like a charm.

Thanks again!!

Thanks for the update. Glad it is working for you.

Thread Information