[RESOLVED] Laptop keyboard stops working - Lenovo Ideapad 3

Thread: [RESOLVED] Laptop keyboard stops working - Lenovo Ideapad 3

Resolved [RESOLVED] Laptop keyboard stops working - Lenovo Ideapad 3

Hi all, having some issues on my laptop which only started happening a few days ago. Hoping someone can help as this is used for work and whatnot.

I can be using the laptop with no problems, then all of a sudden the screen blinks and the keyboard no longer responds. I have tried restarting, uninstalling the driver and reinstalling, reinstalling BIOS, cleaning it etc. I can't remove the battery as it is inbuilt. I am currently using a USB keyboard until I can get this issue resolved. After a restart, it normally responds for a few moments, then stops again. It lasts for a good few hours when I first switch it on for the day, after being off all night, so I wondered if it could be a hardware issue caused by excess heat? I am not very savvy unfortunately. All I know is that the screen always blinks before the keyboard stops.

Specs

Brand - Lenovo Ideapad 3, 15ADA05
    Processor AMD Ryzen 3 3250U with Radeon Graphics - 2.60 GHz
    Installed RA- 8.00 GB (5.88 GB usable)
    System type - 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

Edition - Windows 10 Home Single Language
    Version - 22H2
    Installed on - ‎11/‎04/‎2021
    OS build - 19045.2364
    Serial number - PF2MH5GG
    Experience - Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.4190.0

Paul

You can check temps to test out that possibility. Speedfan running in the background will show temps on a graph. Click the charts tab, select temperatures from the dropdown menu and check the items you want to monitor... cpu cores esp.

https://www.almico.com/speedfan.php
    Attached Images Attached Images

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

Yeah, I run speedfan. All appears normal really. Running between 36-40 degrees.

Any recent spills that you know about and or don't know about?

Is it running off AC or battery when the blink of the monitor happens?

Look in EVENT VIEWER around when it happens.
    If you're happy and you know it......it's your meds.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R Jones View Post
    Any recent spills that you know about and or don't know about?

Is it running off AC or battery when the blink of the monitor happens?

Look in EVENT VIEWER around when it happens.
    Great advice! I've just restarted and it is currently working. I'll keep an eye on the time of the next event and check event viewer.
    I've noticed it happening on or off AC/Battery. I don't recall there being any spills, or any events that might have an impact, although I do use it when I teach private lessons and there's a chance one of my students may have done something!

Here's my Event Viewer log after the last incident
    error.jpg

That error in Event Viewer should not have anything to do with the keyboard, although you can never be sure.

https://www.elevenforum.com/t/many-p...reported.9796/

Have you tried connecting an external USB keyboard?

Also, check Power Management to make sure that hardware items are not being turned off to save power.

Quote Originally Posted by jdc2000 View Post
    That error in Event Viewer should not have anything to do with the keyboard, although you can never be sure.

https://www.elevenforum.com/t/many-p...reported.9796/

Have you tried connecting an external USB keyboard?

Also, check Power Management to make sure that hardware items are not being turned off to save power.
    Yes, I'm using a USB keyboard at the moment as I can't risk it cutting out during work. The USB keyboard works fine but I want to resolve this issue as it's a bit of a hassle carrying it around. I've also checked the power settings and everything is as I set it before.

If the USB keyboard works OK, then it is likely either a driver issue for the built-in keyboard, or a hardware issue.

Check for debris (staples, etc.) in the keyboard. You may want to check the connections as well.

https://www.google.com/search?q=how+...t=gws-wiz-serp

Quote Originally Posted by jdc2000 View Post
    If the USB keyboard works OK, then it is likely either a driver issue for the built-in keyboard, or a hardware issue.

Check for debris (staples, etc.) in the keyboard. You may want to check the connections as well.

https://www.google.com/search?q=how+...t=gws-wiz-serp
    I've given it a good clean with a compressed air can and can't see any debris. It's isn't affecting just a few keys as the screen blinks, then the whole keyboard (apart from the trackpad) stops.
    I've uninstalled and reinstalled the driver, but the problem persists. Unfortunately then, it seems it must be a hardware issue ☹️
    Assuming I'll have to take it to get the whole keyboard replaced then? I'm definitely not competent enough to perform this task myself.

The screen blinking is a valuable clue. Normally, the keyboard would stop working without that happening. That indicates some sort of event is occurring. Determining what that event is could be difficult. If Event Viewer does not show something different at the exact moment when it happens, it must be something that is not being recorded.

There are some videos and instructions on how to remove the keyboard available.

Google:
    how to remove keyboard Lenovo Ideapad 3

I was on the phone to Lenovo and it turns out I still have 4 months on my warranty. They're going to send someone round to replace the keyboard.

Laptop keyboard stops working due to various reasons. Notable among these are if the device is too old, if your keyboard is not set properly, if the keyboard is dirty, and if the hardware is bad, this problem is usually the main cause.

Thread Information