Need a good sound system for my smart TV

Thread: Need a good sound system for my smart TV

Need a good sound system for my smart TV

I have a few year old 55 inch smart TV name brand.

currently I am bypassing my TV speakers with a Sanyo speaker (on speaker) and a sub woofer connected to the port of the TV. It works nicely but I want some more robust sound when watching TV.

I don't have cable or other TV, I only use Roku. I really wanted a surround system but I know most youtube videos don't support 5.1. I do watch movies on some of the other channels available on Roku.

From Amazon I have searched for a sound system (speakers) to hook up to my TV to give me better sound but there are so many to choose from I just don't know what to purchase and I don't know anything about the "watts" that they describe their speakers have. I want something wireless of course. I am willing to spend about $275 for a good set of speakers.

Anyone have some suggestions of what I can buy off of Amazon that will basically meet my needs? I want to buy off of Amazon because I can use a payment plan when purchasing.

Thanks for your help and advice.

Hoping you all have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

If you need more information about the TV I have please let me know.

Hey SpywareDr - Sorry for the delay in my response - Holiday season - Thanks for your suggestion of

Vizio? https://smile.amazon.com/VIZIO-Theat...7-93deae8f9840

I was just about to order it but then wondered if it will give me more than what I presently have with my soundbar and woofer that I have hooked up to my TV now.

This is what I have
    Sony Soundbar and Woofer - Model: SA-CT290. I tried to find a link to it to compare them but not so lucky. I only find HT-CT290 which is a newer model I guess. Even when I search of SA-CT290 manual I end up with HT-CT290.

Can't seem to compare them. If the one you suggested it significantly much better in sound quality I will buy it but if it is basically the same I will want something with more robust sound. As I said I will go as high as about $275 as I will use Affirm to pay it off in time. My problem with reading the specs is that I don't know what I am reading as in the specifications of the speaker, watts etc from one to the other - all Greek to me.

Urgh!!

As a former audiophile earlier in my life I would recommend listening to speakers before you buy them. I would go to a store that sells them or similar products and ask for a brief demo.

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

I agree. You're ears and opinion are the ones that count.

Oups, I see my last reply did not post for some reason.

I agree that listening before buying is best. I was hoping to go with specs to decide on the sound system. I'm not spending a fortune so figured if I did not like it or if he was no better than the one I have already I could simply return it.

I once had back in the 90s a full wired 5.1 surround system with the amplifier etc. Now that was great sound.

My only issue in going to a store is that it is a 55+ miles round trip. It is also very noisy in the store so hard to hear anything that would come from a system. Besides the fact that I am physically disabled and don't travel that far anymore.

I was also hoping to pay it out using Affirm. I don't want to use the store's payment plan.

This Amazon item

Rockville HTS56 1000w 5.1 Channel Home Theater System/Bluetooth/USB+8" Subwoofer, Black
    https://www.amazon.com/Rockville-HTS...2-63e904010ad0

Has 5 speakers (5.1) but no amplifier. I think maybe I may gamble on this one. Wireless would make it easy to set up and test.

What difference would it be if I bought a system with an amplifier? They do cost far more.

Systems with amps need to be wired so no wireless available. Main advantage is analog controls (eq etc) and an increase of available power/watts per channel with a big amp but really that's only a consideration if you plan on listening at loud volumes that a power amp can provide. In any case the one you linked to has plenty of power available anyway so I don't think an average sized power amp would be any louder.

Fink:

Thanks for the explanation of the amp. That's what I needed to know and the fact that not only will it not make much of a difference for what I want but they won't be wireless - that is what I was looking to know!

I guess I will then buy this one to give me a bit more surround sound. It may not be the surround sound i had back in the 90s but at one tenth the price of that old system it is well worth the try. The amp system I had back in the 90s had to fill a very large room with sound. The two rooms that I will be using this system below in are very much smaller.

So this is the one I will be ordering from Amazon from my link above.
    Rockville HTS56 1000w 5.1 Channel Home Theater System/Bluetooth/USB+8" Subwoofer, Black
    https://www.amazon.com/Rockville-HTS...2-63e904010ad0

As usual thanks so much for your guidance.

You and SpywareDr are always very helpful. I usually end up purchasing what this forum suggests. As I said at my age I have reading comprehension issues and my eye sight not being very good it is hard for me to compare/evaluate what I read so your suggestions and advice are vital - more so than you may realize.

Thanks again!! Have a great New Year
    Last edited by question2012; January 2nd, 2023 at 05:43 AM.

No problem , And happy new year to you too!

EDIT: Now that I look at the system again I'm not sure that this system is actually wireless. The description of what is supplied includes speaker wire and there's no mention of wireless capability to the speakers.

Fink - thanks for the heads up about may not be wireless. I really appreciate that a lot.

However, I would like wireless but everyone has spent a lot of time reviewing this unit for me (the ones that responded to this post) and I appreciate everyone's efforts and time spent on it.

I own this house and don't plan on leaving very soon (at least within the next 5 years or so). For this reason and the fact that any room in my house is very easyly accessible from the basement below any room even if it requires running wires I will still be satisfied with that portion of it. It is no big deal for me to run wires from below if needed. I would prefer not to have to run wires but will if need be.

Thanks again for all of your help!!

I just placed the order on these speakers.

I will report back after Jan 13th when I am supposed to receive them.

Thanks again for your help

<thumbsup>

I received my sound system today - yippy!!

Meantime it is wired but seems to give you enough wire to run thru the floor, then basement and back up again. They seem to be RCA connections.

All the wires were provided except for the optical audio wire that I want to use to connect the system to my TV.

My TV has a female and the sound system has a female so I just ordered a double male end optical wire from Amazon. This is what I purchased ----> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0?ie=UTF8&th=1

I believe I ordered the correct on. I got the 20ft one since I am not quite sure where I am placing the subwoofer (where it plugs into) yet at this point.

I'm excited and running the wires freely in my bedroom on the floor to figure exactly where I want all of the speakers to be and then I will run them thru the basement/floor.

The subwoofer is quite substantial in weight and everything plugs into it. Let see how it sounds.

I'm sure the sound will be better when I receive the optical audio cable in a day or two.

Thanks again for your help!!

TV brands with the highest longevity are Samsung, Sony, LG, and Panasonic. However, you can find other affordable brands that could give you several years of use if well maintained. These brands include Sharp and Vizio.

Thread Information