ANTI-VIRUS DELIMMA?

Thread: ANTI-VIRUS DELIMMA?

ANTI-VIRUS DELIMMA?

I am in need of a good anti-virus program that would block pop-up ads and do what ant-virus programs are supposed to do and not cost me an arm& leg.

One that would cover a half dozen pieces or so. I was thinking about Avast and perhaps Guardio?? When I try to do a search on the web as to what are

the best programs, it seems like Total AV has taken over every add whether searching with a PC or cell phone..It is very difficult to find an ad that is true blue.

A lot of the A/V programs offer what you might think is going to be the best & after the install they start hounding you with more add-ons. Any advisement on

this issue would be greatly appreciated. Thanks much........

"Where There's a Will, There's a Way"
    Where there's a will, there's a way

Many here recommend the built in antivirus. I use it on my tablet and it seems to do a good job. I use Avast on my main browsing PC.. it's also effective and has a good pro-active web component to protect me while browsing and I use Bitdefender on my media server but the latest version uses lots of RAM so I don't use it on my main PC... it's also very good from my experience.

I spent a lot of time trying a/v's out over the last year and my current fav is Avast but note that it tries to up-sell itself a lot with popups trying to get you to upgrade. At least once per day. A bit annoying but it is free. It also uses less RAM than any other I've tried. I used Sophos for a while but their latest upgrade last year made it very difficult to deal with.. it's GUI was on line and was quite unwieldy to deal with after you logged in with your browser.

As far as popups go I'm not aware of any a/v that deals with them directly at all. I use the browser's built in popup blocker and uBlock origin ad blocker to assist. There are other add-ons for that as well but I've never tried one... it's never been a big enough problem to look into it. Some a/v's do have additional browser add-ons that may or may not be part of the main package but I have never used any (other than Malwarebytes' addon which does not block popups per se).

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

Thanks fink, for the info. I've always pretty much liked Avast also. Chrome has really been really hitting me hard
    with po-ups lately. I'm going to uninstall & reinstall Chrome to see if I can get it squared away. I use Google mike & also have a couple of emails with same. If it were not for that, I would probably dump them entirely. Seems like they've got to big for their britches. It used to be that it was just Google. But now when you want to just go with Google, your'e stuck with Chrome also..............

What sites are you seeing popups on? A scan with Malwarebytes might not hurt.

Also, you could try Firefox for most web browsing. That should cut down on the popups.

uBlock Origin is available for both Chrome and Firefox. That should help with the popups also.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...jbkeiagm?hl=en
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...ublock-origin/

Thanks Midknyte, I'll check them out.......

Thread Information