Looking for a free program to clean my laptop up.

Thread: Looking for a free program to clean my laptop up.

Looking for a free program to clean my laptop up.

Laptop Info:

Purchased in Dec 2013

HP Model: m7 j020dx
    System Model HP ENVY TS 17 Notebook PC
    Now on Windows 10 Home Edition
    Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4700MQ CPU @ 2.40GHz, 2401 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)

As you can see my laptop is almost 10 years old. Other than using the onboard programs to clean up my hard drive I am looking for a free program that will get rid of all of the temp files,
    deal with registry issues etc etc.

My laptop is running much slower than it should. I don't remember the last time I installed a program on it - years ago probably. I do notice though over the past few years or so it has really started to drag a$$. No viruses that I know of.

I use AVG free edition anti-virus. I get messages to upgrade so it can clean up my hard drive. I don't want to spend the money. I'll deal with it running slower if I have to as I only use it for email, internet surfing and a few other things.

Anyone have a program link that they can share with me that I can install on my system to clean it up? There are so many out there that are "Free" supposedly but I don't know what ones to trust.

Any suggestions appreciated!!

Thank you

I'd stick with the tried and true Ccleaner. Free version is just fine. I would not let it or any cleaner work on the registry because that's usually more likely to cause problems than solve any. But it's basic cleaning function is quite efficient.

There's an addon available that I use called Ccenhancer that adds many items and programs to Ccleaner's list of things to be cleaned but you should have a good look at the new items to make sure you want them deleted.. such as history, cache, cookies from all of the browsers you use. The good thing is that all of the new items are unchecked so it's safe to use immediately. You need to check all of the things it will clean out. If you see something you don't recognize leave it blank.

Have a look at the cookies section and choose what sites you want to keep them from. If you delete all cookies it can be a bit of a pain having to log in to a bunch of sites after cookies are deleted.

And look at the listings of startup items. That's likely to have things not necessary to run the computer perhaps causing slowdowns and using up RAM.

https://www.ccleaner.com/

https://singularlabs.com/software/ccenhancer/

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

Thanks so much fink!! So much appreciated.
    I'll take a look at it.

Thanks for heads up on the default items and other things.

Have a good Thanksgiving.

You're welcome!

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

Thread Information