Why is my CPU not Windows 11 Compatible?

Thread: Why is my CPU not Windows 11 Compatible?

Question Why is my CPU not Windows 11 Compatible?

I have a Lenovo IdeaCentre with an Intel Core i5-6400 Processor.

It has a frequency of 2.7 GHz, it supports 64-bit.

It has 4 cores and 4 threads (whatever those are).

The system has TPM 2.0 enabled.

PC Health checkup tells me my CPU is not okay for Windows 11. Why not? It meets the speed and core requirements. I don't get it.

The current CPU socket type is FCLGA1151.

If I can't upgrade with my current CPU, I wonder if could get a different CPU for the same motherboard and socket or maybe replace the mainboard and CPU altogether. Getting a brand-new PC with the same amount of memory, and SSD drive compatibility, and having a DVD/RW drive and all the USB ports I have would be really expensive. I have a good system, and I'd like to keep most of it without breaking the bank.

Any thoughts?

First off, you don't need to upgrade to Win11 right away. Win10 will be supported until 2025. Personally, I'd stick with Win10 for now.

6th generation (Skylake) Core CPUs are not officially supported by Win11. The clock speed isn't the only factor.
    https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...tel-processors

You didn't give the specific model of IdeaCentre, so I can't say which CPUs you could upgrade to. Being that it came with a 6th Gen, it's unlikely you could run a 8th or 9th Gen. It depends on the motherboard chipset.

maybe replace the mainboard
    Highly doubtful. Lenovo (and most OEMs) use proprietary motherboards.

Thanks for your quick reply!!

The model is Ideacentre 700-25ISH.

Thanks.

As I suspected, that motherboard won't take an 8th Gen Core CPU.
    https://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-Intel...ets)/H170.html

Again, there's no rush to upgrade to Win11. Win10 will be fully supported for 3 more years.

It seems like your Lenovo IdeaCentre with the Intel Core i5-6400 Processor meets the speed and core requirements for Windows 11, so it's puzzling why it's not compatible. In situations like this, it's best to dig deeper and consider other factors. While the processor might meet the basic requirements, there could be other compatibility issues related to specific hardware features or microcode support.

"It seems like your Lenovo IdeaCentre with the Intel Core i5-6400 Processor meets the speed and core requirements for Windows 11, so it's puzzling why it's not compatible.
    In situations like this, it's best to dig deeper and consider other factors. While the processor might meet the basic requirements, there could be other compatibility issues related to specific hardware features or microcode support. "

Thread Information