QUERY ABOUT MOVIES + CLOSED CAPTION, SUBTITLES ?

Thread: QUERY ABOUT MOVIES + CLOSED CAPTION, SUBTITLES ?

QUERY ABOUT MOVIES + CLOSED CAPTION, SUBTITLES ?

I have been using VLC for watching movies etc., for many years. I have always had to rely on closed caption or subtitles, in order to listen & watch movies, etc. VLC has always been fairly good in finding a subtitle if it exists. However, you have to search for it each time.
    I would think that in this & age, there would be a simpler way of doing that. In other words, a program that you use for watching would
    automatically search & show the caption or subtitle when viewing the movie or whatever. Many times, I have to manually search for the subtitle via Subscene.Com or simular. Surely by now, there ought to be a better way?? Thanks in advance.......
    Where there's a will, there's a way

Apparently manually searching for subtitles is the way it's still most often done these days since there are so many languages that could be used for subtitling.

Subscene.com is one of the sites recommended here...

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/bes...movies-and-tv/

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

OK thanks fink.

You can try using the VLSub extension. It should already be included if you have the current version of VLC.

https://www.maketecheasier.com/get-v...oad-subtitles/

Thanks Midkyte, for that. I will check into it. What I am actually hoping for, is to be able to open a movie file with a choice of caption already there without out doing a search.
    Something simular to how Netflix operates.........

What are you playing on VLC? Netflix is a streaming service, so you can't really compare that to VLC, which is just a media player.

I understand that. When you pick a movie on Netflix. The subtitles are there at your option to choose.
    You take the same movie that you downloaded elsewhere, with VLC, you have go thru a step procedure to aquire
    the subtitle. I would think that if the subtitle was inbedded in the movie, that it would show at startup....

I would think that if the subtitle was inbedded in the movie, that it would show at startup....
    That's up to whoever encoded the file. Some will include the subtitle file, and some won't.

Midknyte; maybe I think that maybe I am not making myself clear. I'll hopefully present it step by step.
    1.. I start the movie via VLC
    2.. I go to the VLC tool bar & click on "view"
    3.. I scroll down to VLsub.
    4.. I open Vlsub & click on : search by Hash . If no subtitle: It'll say: no result.
    5.. Then I'll do the : search by name. No reult

So that means no subtitle embedded in the movie, So I go to Suscene. com to get the subT, if its available

Now, when there IS a subtitle embedded in the movie & when I do the ubove task, then I can get the subT.

What my original query was: Why cannot VLC or another program include the subT "IF EMBEDDED" without having to search for it as I indicated above??

Perhaps I'm all wet.

Why cannot VLC or another program include the subT "IF EMBEDDED" without having to search for it as I indicated above??
    If the video file has a srt or other subtitle in it, VLC should already list it as a subtitle track.
    Go to the menu bar and click Subtitle > Sub Track > (trackname)

If you want to show subtitles by default, make sure you set "Enable subtitles" in Preferences.
    Tools > Preferences
    Subtitles/OSD tab
    Check "Enable subtitles"
    Click Save

From the link I posted:
    2. In the VLSub window, you can select the subtitle language and add the title of the movie. Click the “Search by name” button to fetch all the related subtitles from OpenSubtitles.org.
    The VLSub extension searches OpenSubtitles.org.

If you want to show subtitles by default, make sure you set "Enable subtitles" in Preferences.
    If that still doesn't work, check the Advanced Preferences also.

Tools > Preferences
    In the bottom left corner, set Show settings to "All"
    Scroll down to Video > Subtitles/OSD
    Check "Autodetect subtitle files"
    Click Save

Thanks Midknyte; I found that the only thing missing in your "setting" instructions, was that the "ALL" setting was
    unchecked. I'm going to give it a try the next time I play a movie that I know it has an embeded subT.

Your tips are greatly appreciated. Thanks much!!!

Thread Information