VLC ERROR CODE '401 UNAUTHORIZED ' (200) ???

Thread: VLC ERROR CODE '401 UNAUTHORIZED ' (200) ???

VLC ERROR CODE '401 UNAUTHORIZED ' (200) ???

First: HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL!

Now; regarding VLC. Been using it for years. Has always worked quite well.

Recently, when I try to get the subtitle from a movie that will play on VLC,

I get this message: Error code '401 unauthorized' (200).

I find the same situation no matter what pc I use. I've uninstalled,

reinstalled, obtained the latest version, cleared the cache in browser.

Even checked the web for any info & cannot find a solution. Any suggestions?? Thanks............
    Where there's a will, there's a way

Recently, when I try to get the subtitle from a movie that will play on VLC,
    Exactly what are you doing to get the subtitles? Is it an addon? Did you try to find the subtitles online manually?

I launch the movie, TV series, or whatever.
    I click on VIEW (vlc player)
    I search by HASH
    If nothing shows, I then search by NAME.
    99% of the time, that's where a subtititle will be.
    If the search shows NONE, the I'll go to Subscene.com

I have been doing it this way for many,many years. Now all of a sudden, nothing works anymore in that category.

I have files of TV shows, movies.etc, that we watch regularily & most of the time, I will search & list the subtitles at the time of downloading. Other times, I'll search at the time of viewing. 99% of the time all videos of this nature will have a subtitle, if not I delete.
    Because of my hearing loss, is why I've been doing this for all the years.

VLC requires an online connection in order to work. There has to be something in that connection that led up to this........

I forgot to mention that after I click on VIEW, I then click on VLsub. The proceed from there..........

I launch the movie, TV series, or whatever.
    I click on VIEW (vlc player)
    I search by HASH
    I think you clicked on VLsub, correct? It's an issue with the VLsub addon, not VLC itself.
    Ok, just saw your last post. The VLsub part was important.

You could make an account on opensubtitles.org (which is where VLsub gets the subs from):
    https://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=153001

Or you could try the "fixed" addon from Daedalus:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/VLC/comment...m_source=share

or just go to subscene and download them there.

Thanks for the help here Midknyte.

It seems that perhaps the "extension" file under "lua" in the Videolan is no longer valid or corrupt.
    If it is omitted, you cannot search as I stated in my last post. I found a copy of that ext. that I had used
    some years ago & tried it to no avail.

I have tried & tried to get a copy of the new extension that the websites talk about but no luck whatsoever.

I seem to get everything but! A lot of the lingo, I do not understand. What seemed to be an easy task years back

now seems a chore to decifer. Perhaps you could find a down loadable file that could be accessed?? Thanks again...........

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

fink, that .lua was not a workable file. It would be like not having (.lua) at all.

I tried an ext.(lua) file that I had used in 2017 that was good till this trouble occured.

If you don't have a (.lua) extension file, you won't have a VLsub to work with.

In it's place will be the word "Add Interface" which of course will not do a search.

I might add, that a lot of the more recent TV Series (rarely movies) have the subs built in

and then all you need to do is click on "subtitle" on VLC's task bar & there will be subs for

English & sometimes other languages. However, if you have TV series, movies, etc that does

not have the subs listed in the subtitle task bar, then you need the correct .lua ext.

And back to square one.................

Did you create an account on Opensubtitles.org or not? This is from the first link I posted:
    https://forum.videolan.org/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=153001

I have just found out from another source that www.opensubtitles.org have limited their option to freely download from their site since so many people now stay home due to covid-19. If you create an account on their site and then use your login and password and insert it in vlsub under "Show config" and then click "Save", you will absolutely be able to download subs again!

Even for the Daedalus version, it mentions entering your Opensubtitles.org login:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/VLC/comment...m_source=share

https://github.com/daedalusbln/vlsub

Make sure VLC is not running.

Go into Program Files/VideoLAN/VLC/lua/extensions and delete vlsub.luac

On Github, download a zip of my fork and place vlsub.lua into Program Files/VideoLAN/VLC/lua/extensions

Optional: Create an account on opensubtitles.org if you don't have one.

Optional: Open VLSub and select Show config, then log into your Opensubtitles account.

Perhaps I goofed. I registered with: subtitles.com , the source of VLc's subs.

So now I am in the process of creating an account with opensubtitles.org.

However, I have run into an obsticle I don't understand. I listed a copy below.

I am not sure how to proceed as the window to add any text is nothing more than a narrow slot??

SEO or Spam attempts will cloud blacklist your IP and email from 10000+ other places. Do not put any link in your profile or signature. You have been warned. To continue registration enter -d28- below, spammers will enter "I agree" to continue:
    This question is a means of preventing automated form submissions by spambots.

UPDATE!

It's finally resolved. Your latest resource, Midknyte has paid off. I did another re-entry

of the account creation & all went well. Thanks & Happy NewYear...............

Bear in mind: this not a "one size fits all"

You have to do this fix on any machine running VLC..............

Thread Information