QUERY: MICROSOFT SURFACE 2 - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: QUERY: MICROSOFT SURFACE 2

You can't run x86 apps on RT. Even if you were to "jailbreak" it to gain admin access, you'd still need to find apps that were specifically compiled to run in RT.

I Sure appreciate all the help here! One of the biggest problem, is that it's a 32bit system.
    And it's also Windows 8 RT (I'm quite certain) . Being that HD is a special one with no easy access,
    I can't just format the drive & start over. The only options available just resets. Firefox won't go either. I set up
    Firfox portable on a thumb drive & also on the surface desktop. The HD is only 25.3gb & I've used over half of it
    already. Windows.old contains1.97gbs & windows 10.gbs
    I'm going to see if I can round up a version of win 8.1, try to clear the drive & hope to do a new install.
    I was also wondering if by chance there might be something in the registry that I could remove & sever the restrictions?
    Where there's a will, there's a way

One of the biggest problem, is that it's a 32bit system.
    The problem is that it's on an ARM CPU, not an x86 CPU like a typical laptop or desktop.

That also means you can't just install Windows like a typical laptop or desktop. It's more like trying to install Windows on an Android tablet.

jdc2000 posted some links about installing an unofficial build of Win10 for ARM. I don't know anyone that's tried it, but that's probably the only viable option.

Ah, it looks like someone is working on an Otter browser port for ARM. That's worth a shot before attempting the whole Win10 route.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/a...arm32.4267593/

Thanks Midknyte; I'll check into that.....

I DLed the Otter Browser to a thumb drive & tried but no luck. The same old story: "This app can't run on your PC"

I am wondering about Diskpart? I've used it many times to set up HD's for reformating by using its "clean process"
    I brought it up on this Suface & got to as far as "List Partition". But that's as far as I dare go for the time being.
    Is there any other function of Diskpart other than the "Clean" of a HD?

And the registry. Anything there that I could do to disrupt the: "This App Can't Run on Your PC?

If we could get this thing to work, I think we would be a first. )

Wikipedia > Windows RT
    Windows RT is a deprecated mobile operating system developed by Microsoft. It is a version of Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 built for the 32-bit ARM architecture (ARMv7).

First unveiled in January 2011 at Consumer Electronics Show, the Windows RT 8 operating system was officially launched alongside Windows 8 on October 26, 2012, with the release of three Windows RT-based devices, including Microsoft's original Surface tablet.

Unlike Windows 8, Windows RT is only available as preloaded software on devices specifically designed for the operating system by original equipment manufacturers (OEMs).

[...continues...]

I don't see how diskpart would help.

And the registry. Anything there that I could do to disrupt the: "This App Can't Run on Your PC?
    Did you try the "jailbreak" tool yet? You can't run third party apps otherwise. There is a whole FAQ at XDA. It doesn't look like it's been updated in a long time, though.
    https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/r...-tool.2092158/

No Midknyte, I have not tried Jailbrake yet. I sorta shelved the project for a while.
    I need to catch up on a lot of other stuff. I get so wrapped up in stuff like the surface thing
    that I get way behind in other things. If I happen to get something good out of the project,
    I'll post it here. Thanks to all for their input..............

Thread Information