Windows Files Transfer Problem

Thread: Windows Files Transfer Problem

Windows Files Transfer Problem

Howdy, I recently picked up a computer at a garage sale. It had Windows 10 installed.

When I decided to update Windows 10, it actually installed windows 11, which was ok with me. However, the HD in the PC was the size of a solid state drive & thinking that it was a SSD, I continued to allow Windows to update the Win 11. I later realized the the HD was not SSD because the sytem was extremely
    slow.

I now have an SSD that is the same capacity as the other & am trying to copy everything from one drive to the other. However, I keep running into obsticles like : I dont' have permission to do this or that.

I am using a docking station that support two SATA drives. Any suggestions or help in this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks much.......
    Where there's a will, there's a way

Sounds like you're doing a copy and paste... or trying to.

Have you consider cloning it?

https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree
    If you're happy and you know it......it's your meds.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R Jones View Post
    Sounds like you're doing a copy and paste... or trying to.

Have you consider cloning it?

https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree
    I can give that a try but is there a way that I can overide the " you need permission" issue ?

Quote Originally Posted by Razor View Post
    I can give that a try but is there a way that I can overide the " you need permission" issue ?
    Since that error is a Windows error, don't load Windows.

Use this, https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...0_to_sata.html $39.99 ($49.99 at Amazon) . . . no PC needed. Insert the Source drive, the Target drive and press the clone button. That's all there is to it. The Source drive will be copied bit-by-bit from one drive to the the Target drive ... with no PC needed whatsoever. Note though that this also works great as a PC attached USB 3.0 Dual Bay SATA Docking Station.

Thanks Spyware Dr., That's a pretty neat tool. However, I doubt that I would needed often enough to justify the cost.
    I didnt have much luck with the free cloning tool, so I'm going to do a different method. With a windows media creation
    tool, I have on a thumb drive, I'm going to install windows 10 & hope that it will update to 11. Being that windows is
    currently free, it just might work. Thanks to all for your input.

No problem Razor. Got my <fingers-crossed> for you.

SO far so good. However, after a few windows 10 up dates, I get this message when trying to check for updates: [Your Device is Missing Important Security and Quality Fixes] . The PC qualifies for the win11 update,
    but I can't seem to resolve the message. Even adding an anti virus, it still shows up.
    I have another query also. I'm looking for a good anti-virus program for both PC's & cellphones. Any suggestion? Presently trying Mcafee, which doesnt work all that well with Android. Was wondering about
    Bit Defender?? Any good ? Thanks.............

Bitdefender was my preferred AV for the past few years.. worked well and had a very small imprint/impact on my computer but the latest version which they released this past year uses a HUGE amount of RAM on my PC (~800Megs) so I've, for now, switched out to Avast free version which uses a third the am't of RAM and also seems to do a good job although there are a lot of popups every day to try and get me to upgrade to the paid version.

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

Thanks fink, for the input. I've usd Avast on & off for many years. Them I went with TotalAV. They seemed to take too much control, so I dumped them & went back to Avast. Then when I heard that Avast had been
    giving away customer's info. (don't recall all the details) I switched again. But all in all, they seemed to do a pretty good job. I think I'll go back to them.........

Thread Information