Groups with Gmail
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Groups with Gmail

Groups with Gmail

What ho one and all,

I am the Neighbourhood Watch coordinator for my road and regularly send around 60 mails.

Have not done so for a few weeks as fortunately, nothing has been going on.

But today I tried to send a flyer from OE6 using my Gmail address. Everyone is addressed within BCC but it will not go. Figuring there may be a Gmail issue, I tried to send the flyer to just myself; no problems.

Has Google changed the ground rules for sending mail to groups? Does 60 exceed their limit? (didn't in the past)

I did manage to send it from the Gmail web site by copying and pasting the same addresses.

Grateful for any suggestions.

Thanks and toodle pip

1) OE6 from over 20 years ago?! Time to catch up. Recommend using Gmail.com or Outlook.com.

2) Can you send to 2 people? If so, try say 5, then 10, then 20, ... you get the idea. Eventually you'll know what the limit might be.

GMail is not the email provider to be using for that, if you want to use a group with more than 10 or maybe 20 recipients per message.

Possibly useful link:

https://support.google.com/mail/thre...cipients?hl=en

Since these would generally be "no reply" emails, a different email account would work much better for sending them. Most email accounts allow you to change the "reply to" email address so it is different from the actual sending email address for those where you might want a reply. Set up an email account at a provider that allows a larger number of recipients on a single email message and use that for these emails.

Here is a quote from that page:
    the limit is 500 recipients in any 24 hour period
    that was marked as the Answer by the OP.

Note that the 500 recipient limit may not be the limit for an individual email message, but for multiple messages.

Yep, that could well be. <shrug> (Don't have time to do a test right now).

but it will not go
    Can you give a LOT more details on this?
    If you're happy and you know it......it's your meds.

Details as in what error message(s), if any you get, or what does or does not happen if no error messages.

For al the flak I will receive, I am more than happy with W7 and a version of OE6 that does actually work. I tried Thunderbird and other e-mail programs and do not like them. Apart from anything else, it was very difficult (impossible!!) to import my OE addresses into other programs. Also, I seemed to have a blind spot with sending any mail and / filing received mails with Thunderbird.

So I have been using W7 and OE6 for around nine months, and apart from having to do something with Google to allow OE6 to work under AuthO2 (or whatever it is) all is working fine.

Sending BCC mail to my NHW group (around 60 addresses) has until last week, not been an issue. Sent to myself, all is OK but to the group, I receive this message

Attachment 15706

which does not exactly helpful! I have not played with the OE6 settings nor anything within GMail.

I have checked the Google requirement and addresses to BCC says:

Recipients per message sent via SMTP (by POP or IMAP users) or the Gmail API
    Addresses in the To, Cc, and Bcc fields of a single email. Includes email sent using smtp-relay.gmail.com or smtp.gmail.com* 100

So I am below the limit.

Thanks and toodle pip
    Last edited by Rekusu; September 30th, 2022 at 09:11 AM.

Did you Google the ERROR CODE that starts with 0X800 ?

welcome-back-kotter-kotter.gif

Did you Google the ERROR CODE that starts with 0X800 ?
    Mr Kotter Mr Kotter! I did! I did!

https://www.wikihow.com/Fix-Outlook-...ding-of-Email#

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

Update: don't understand and have not tried to send a mail to the NHW group, but for the past days, I have not been able to send/receive anything from my default g-mail account; always the same error message.

And the error codes have not been exactly useful!!! Then a different code appeared which when Googled, told me that I need to reset the AppPassword via Google/My Account/ Security. Generated a new password, inserted that into my OE6 password box and hey presto, seems to be working again.

Next, to try the group.

Up-date:

Having reset my App password in my Google account and tried sending to the group. Still would not go.

Split the message 50/50 based on addresses. First half went no problems, second half, the same error message. Tried with the same message split into groups of around 6. None went.
    Don't know if there is a problem with some individual addresses or what. Usually if there is an address error, it is returned with an 'Undeliverable' message rather than not going at all.

Don't know what the next step should be?

Any suggestions will be investigated.

Thanks an toodle pip

The suggestion that has already been made is probably the one you will need to use: Don't use GMail for sending out these notifications. Use a different email provider or a bulk email sending service.

Have you tried Outlook.com? It's like Gmail, but from Microsoft instead of Google/

Thread Information