Photo Degradation on iCloud

Thread: Photo Degradation on iCloud

Photo Degradation on iCloud

Do photos uploaded to iCloud suffer quality degradation due to generation loss during copying?

I have an iPhone (old model SE) and an iCloud account and have been taking pictures with my phone in a seemingly normal manner.

Every so often I fetch or copy pictures to a Windows (Windows 10) computer. Occasionally I find that the same picture I copied over arrives a different size from the same picture I copied over a few weeks prior. Same picture content as seen on the screen, same file name such as IMG_0066, same picture taken date, same pixel count (such as 3072 x 4096), same format (here, JPG), different file size in bytes..

This suggests to me that there must be some reconversion and/or recompression going on so as to produce generation loss in terms of picture quality.

Yet a few week slater I took a closer look and found that one version of the picture was rotated, i.e. horizontal to vertical or vice versa, compared with the other. The pixel count would reflect this as 4096Wx3072H versus 3072Wx4096H.

I did not proactively rotate any of the pictures.

What I want to find out is techniques that prevent altering of the photo as saved on iCloud without my explicitly editing of the photo. If it is saved originally using a lossy conversion (incl. JPG) that does not matter. What I want is to have the copy or version once on iCloud be the master, not modified or updated unless I tell it tu update.

Best advice:

Do not trust Apple to save your photos. If you want to make sure that they stay as they were, you should have multiple backups on hardware that you own, like a flash drive and/or computer hard drive.

Thread Information