[RESOLVED] Dead USB thumbdrive?

Thread: [RESOLVED] Dead USB thumbdrive?

Resolved [RESOLVED] Dead USB thumbdrive?

What ho one and all,

I have a 64gb USB thumbdrive that fortunately, does not have anything important on it, but is no longer 'readable.' I think it may have been knocked while in the front socket of my desktop computer. The plug and plastic body now have a slightly 'flexible' joint.

When plugged in, the activity light illuminates but the computer does not see the drive at all.

Seems pointless to install recovery software as if it is not seen, then recovery software will also not see it.

Is there anything that I can do to attempt to recover the files?

Thanks and toodle pip

If you tried it on ALL ports and ALL computers that you own and it doesn't work - sure sounds like it's dead.
    If you're happy and you know it......it's your meds.

You could try carefully removing the plastic shell to see if the connections from the USB port to the electronics are damaged, and, if so, attempt to repair them.

Thanks for the replies. Have also been searching for solutions via Dr Google.

Have removed the cover and when wiggling the plug, I can see that all four connections appear to be broken. Will hit it with the soldering iron on the morrow and report back if successful.

Success; re-soldered the four connections and all is working again.

Note to brain: remove the thumbdrive from the front of the computer is not using it!!!!

Thread Information