Dual monitor setup for my office PC

Thread: Dual monitor setup for my office PC

Dual monitor setup for my office PC

My office PC uses two monitors simultaneously, so I have much more viewing area. My PC crashed; long story short I am now using a PC that does not have a video card that supported the two screen setup that my original PC did since it had a good video card.

My present PC is a Dell Optiplex 990
    Manual for PC ---> https://i.dell.com/sites/doccontent/...spec-sheet.pdf This is the small space saver size PC.

My dual monitors are both the same HP LA2205wg
    I believe this is the manual for the monitors ---> http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03285508.pdf

My present PC only has one VGA port and no video card. So one monitor gets hooked up to this. The other monitor I have an adapter that goes from the VGA port on the monitor to the end of the VGA cord plug which then transitions over via adapter to a USB so I can plug it into a USB port.

With this setup of one VGA and one USB the USB monitor looks like crap and has a very bad sluggish reaction when moving the mouse and the resolution is horrible. When I had these two monitors hooked up to my other PC with the video card and the dual cord from the card to both monitors it was great and seamless.

So that I don't have this sluggish action and horrible resolution on the USB connected monitor what cord/adapter should I purchase to go from my monitor to my PC with the ports that are present on both the PC and the monitor?

Thanks for your help as usual

According to the owners manuals both the computer and the monitor are equipped with display port jacks. You should just need one display port cable to hook up the second monitor to that output.

Worth noting is that the DisplayPort output would normally be the primary monitor because it's a higher quality signal than the VGA out but depending on what you use the computer for it might not be too noticeable.
    Attached Images Attached Images

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

I think I am missing something here Fink. But I mainly don't quite understand what you are saying/instructing.

I am presently using the VGA port on the computer to hook up the first monitor. This works fine and the resolution and mouse reaction are very good.

The second monitor is hooked up from the VGA port of the monitor with a VGA cord and then on the end of this cord is a VGA/USB adapter. This hook up with the second monitor is what gives me very poor resolution and a delay when I move the mouse. This happens even just opening a browser or Thunderbird etc, nothing that requires much of anything.

So my question is instead of me using trial and error buying cords and adapters to fit the different connections on the monitor to see which port/cord/adapter I should use for best results I was hoping that I could get advice as to which to use for the 2nd monitor so I have far less if any problems with resolution and mouse movement.

I am aware there are a few diff ports on the monitor but really only one port remaining to be used on the PC other than a USB port. What is your suggestion for what port I should use on the monitor for best results so I know what cord/adapter to buy so again I don't have to go through trial and error.

Thanks

DisplayPort is the best option by far for the main monitor. VGA for the 2nd monitor and you already have that cable.

This is an example of the cable needed for DisplayPort. You can probably find one cheaper if you search around in the US probably on Amazon. I'm in Canada and they're a little more expensive here.

https://www.newegg.ca/p/N82E16812119876

Thanks Fink - that is exactly what I needed to know.

I buy from Amazon as a Prime member.

Would this be what I need? I just want to be sure before I order it.

https://www.amazon.com/DisplayPort-i...s%2C201&sr=8-3

Yes. The 6 foot one is a bit cheaper if it's long enough to reach.

Great - Thanks!!!!

I'm not worried about a few dollars more. I would rather get the 10 footer.

Thanks again.

Thank you Fink, that monitor cord you told me to buy works great!!

Good to hear

Thread Information