A formatting question about Word 365

Thread: A formatting question about Word 365

A formatting question about Word 365

I have a big MS and had it formatted a while ago. I've revised it and now want to upload the new version. The publisher asked me to eliminate all TABS. did that. Now I have to "paragraph" the ms because there are no longer Tabs to show where they are. I have to put a space between each paragraph. I've been wrestling with Format Painter and all the dialogs but I'm not there yet. Still doing the paragraphs manually and there are thousands of them!

Thanks amigos

Arthur

Not sure exactly what you are talking about. Paragraph? Tabs? Format Painter?

Is this a Microsoft Word document? If so, Tabs are not normally used to separate paragraphs. Perhaps a clearer, more length explanation of the issue might enable us to provide some useful assistance. Macros could be used to speed up the process, if only we knew what that actual process should be.

Formatting woes

I have a large MS Word manuscript formerly formatted in conventional style, i.e. paragraphs are indicated by Tabs (or indentations). The publisher wants a MS without Tabs. The problem is that Tabs identified each paragraph. It was set at five spaces. I've removed all the Tabs but now thereis nothing to indicate where any paragraph begins or ends. I can SEE the end of each paragraph due to the sentence length. Sentences at the end don't run all the way to the page border. Most of the time. Now I must either find a way to separate the paragraphs by spacing them one "unit" apart. I have 141,000 words in the Manuscript and manually setting each paragraph apart is something of a task. I'm on Chapter nine. I have fifty five chapters total. OY! I can do it, but it's a real chore. Does this help?

If you have an original copy of the document, you should replace the Tabs with an Enter (CR) character.

Example:

Code:
    Replace this:
         Paragraph one starts here,
    and continues here.
         Paragraph two starts here,
    and continues here.

with this:
    Paragraph one starts here,
    and continues here.

Paragraph two starts here,
    and continues here.
    This can be done with a search and replace operation, in a few seconds.

I've got that part, the elimination of Tabs. The next part SHOULD be do-able using Format Painter but that utility simply stopped working so I am still separating paragraphs manually. Sometimes Word is clunky and almost unbearable.

that utility simply stopped working
    Have you tried doing a repair/reinstall?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...e-a6b40c5bb88b

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

The Search and Replace that removes the Tabs should also be able to insert the needed Enter (CR) character, all in one operation, and then you would be done.

Link:

https://www.techrepublic.com/article...word-document/

Word has paragraph formatting built-in. You can choose to have the same spacing applied to all similar paragraphs (or not depending on your needs). Personally I'd start with what JDC is saying from the original file BEFORE you removed the tabs, but short of that, get one paragraph lined up how you want it. You can engage format painter from the keyboard if you're having trouble triggering it in the menu.

Select the paragraph that is how you want it formatted and hit CTRL + SHIFT + C. Then select all the remaining paragraphs to be formatted and do CTRL+ SHIFT + V. Similar to the copy and paste text, this will copy and paste formatting. Good luck.

Thread Information