Looking to set up an SMS alias on a computer

Thread: Looking to set up an SMS alias on a computer

Looking to set up an SMS alias on a computer

Hi,

I need to find a solution where i can set up an SMS alias similar to an email alias. I need to be able to administer it on a computer but have any member of the alias be able to send a text to it so it gets broadcast to the rest of the alias members. I need a solution that does not require a specific app, i need this to be standard SMS based.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

TIA,
    Dave

Actually, an email alias system would probably work. Most cellular providers have a way to email a text message to a device. It is usually by sending the message to 1234567890@provider.domain so for example, to email a text to a Verizon customer, it would be 1234567890@vtext.com (where 1234567890 is the phone number to send to).

Quote Originally Posted by jdc2000 View Post
    Actually, an email alias system would probably work. Most cellular providers have a way to email a text message to a device. It is usually by sending the message to 1234567890@provider.domain so for example, to email a text to a Verizon customer, it would be 1234567890@vtext.com (where 1234567890 is the phone number to send to).
    Thanks for your reply, I gave that a try but unfortunately it does not work. It seems weird that some company out there hasn't come up with and SMS server that can be customized like an email server hosts aliases that are available to all. The goal is for the alias members to only have to use standard SMS to broadcast text without having to maintain the list on their individual smart phone. I'd like to maintain the list as the administrator and have it simply available for alias members to send broadcast texts only.

What did not work when you tried to send a text to a phone number from an email?

What provider were you trying to send the text to?

How are you wanting to send these texts? From a specific phone, from a computer, or some other method?

Quote Originally Posted by jdc2000 View Post
    What did not work when you tried to send a text to a phone number from an email?

What provider were you trying to send the text to?

How are you wanting to send these texts? From a specific phone, from a computer, or some other method?
    Hi,

I tried sending an email to my cell # @domain of my carrier, which is Bell Canada.

The scenario I'm trying to find a solution to is as follows:

I support the technical workflow for a group of physicians who are on-call virtually supporting rural Canada. There is only doc one on-call at once but when call volumes are high, we need a quick way to send out a blast to the rest of the physician group asking for one of them to jump on to the service. We need that doc to be able to send a text back to the group saying they got it so the other all don't jump on at once to the backup service account. Physicians don't check email regularly so that won't work, they also are very clear that they do not want another app to have to check as using Teams and Zoom are already borderline for them. They all do respond to standard SMS though so this is why I'm looking for a solution as I outlined earlier to simply have an SMS alias that only broadcasts requests/replies to the same alias.

thanks,
    Dave

Would this site be of any help?

https://www.sendsmsnow.com/index.php

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

According to Google, if you send an email to 1234567890 @ txt.bell.ca it should go to the phone at that number. Substitute the real phone number (like yours) for 1234567890. If that works, then just set up an email group with each of the phone numbers @txt.bell.ca (assuming that all of the recipients use the same provider) and send an email to that group.

I borrowed the following:

"From what I have read, Spectrum Mobile uses Verizon predominately and I read that they may also use Sprint towers in some regions. I suggest you test on Verizon's gateway and it doesn't work maybe try Sprint's."

Verizon SMS: xxx-xxx-xxxx@vtext.com
    Verizon MMS: xxx-xxx-xxxx@vzwpix.com
    Sprint SMS: xxx-xxx-xxxx@messaging.sprintpcs.com
    Sprint MMS: xxx-xxx-xxxx@pm.sprint.com

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/...can-i-use-smtp

And here is some more:

Just substitute a 10-digit cell phone number for ‘number’ for each carrier below:

AT&T: number@txt.att.net (SMS), number@mms.att.net (MMS)
    Boost Mobile: number@sms.myboostmobile.com (SMS), number@myboostmobile.com (MMS)
    C-Spire: number@cspire1.com
    Consumer Cellular: number@mailmymobile.net
    Cricket: number@sms.cricketwireless.net (SMS), number@mms.cricketwireless.net (MMS)
    -CONTINUED HERE-
    https://20somethingfinance.com/how-t...%20items...%20
    If you're happy and you know it......it's your meds.

I can't get Consumer Cellular to work.. Here's some more helpful info:

(HUGE) List Of Email-To-SMS Addresses
    https://avtech.com/articles/138/list...sms-addresses/

Thread Information