Dell Optiplex 980 - Seems that the power supply is shot. - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dell Optiplex 980 - Seems that the power supply is shot.

Fink: thanks for the idea of an adapter SATA to USB.
    I think I will try this as my second option for now. Reason being it will only really be a one time use so I may want to go with Jdc2000's idea of disconnecting the DVD which it does have and connecting the drive from the trashed system to it.
    Thanks Fink I am keeping this idea in my back pocket. If this was a long term need I would go with the adapter or if connecting the drive to the DVD cable does not work I will go with the adapter.

Jdc2000: thanks. When I get to the office tomorrow I will try your DVD swap suggestion. Yes, the other system has a DVD drive. I did not realize the cables for both were interchangable. Since this is a one time need so far I will go with this to start with.

Thanks so much to the two of you!!

Oups!!

I made a mistake. I'll explain but be gentle please.

Going with your suggestion Fink
    I believe the hard drive connector and the DVD connector are both SATA connectors.

The new system SATA connector is not nearly as wide as the hard drive SATA connector so the SATA connector on the new system will will not fit the hard drive SATA connector.

The SATA connector on the hard drive is 1.5 inches wide (See pic attached). I think that includes the power portion of the two ports.

Since I can't connect the hard drive to the new system's cables I will need to get a SATA to USB adapter which is fine with me. This time spent on trying solutions and the purchase of a SATA adapter is still better than losing the data from the old drive. But really, if I do end up losing the data from the old drive it won't be a very big deal, just an inconvenience. I do have a backup on an external with Acronis of the image of the hard drive but just not the recent files.

Which SATA to USB adapter do I need to purchase on Amazon. I'll order it. I have seen several different kinds and I don't know which one to order. Again, this will be a one time use so something inexpensive is fine with me.

Thanks again for your help.
    Last edited by question2012; August 4th, 2022 at 11:33 AM.

So that image is for the hard drive from the old system that is dead? That would be a standard 3.5 inch drive type of SATA connector. The longer connector is for the power and the shorter one is for the data.

It looks like your 790 uses 2.5 inch drives and those have different connectors. I have not been able to find a 3.5 inch to 2.5 inch SATA adapter, so a SATA to USB cable will be needed. You will need a powered one since the 3.5 inch drive has different power requirements.

https://www.amazon.com/SATA-Drive-Ad...07PVX682Q?th=1

Thank you so much jdc2000, I just ordered the one you gave me the link to.
    Much Appreciated!!

SUCCESS!!!!!! YIPPY!!!!!!

I want to thank you both jdc2000 and Fink for your help, suggestions and links.

I received the adapter and installed it today and was able to retrieve all of my data from the drive from the trashed system.

You saved me a lot of work.

THANK YOU SO SO SO SO MUCH!!!!!

We're glad to have helped

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

Thread Information