Dell Optiplex 980 - Seems that the power supply is shot.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dell Optiplex 980 - Seems that the power supply is shot.

Dell Optiplex 980 - Seems that the power supply is shot.

I have a Dell Optiplex 980
    Small office setup
    No network - just WiFi

I was doing my work and suddenly my computer started to reboot on its own. Before the computer went into windows or gave a welcome screen it again rebooted on its own. Without me touching anything it rebooted over and over again. This happened for about 5 minutes or a bit longer.

Each time it rebooted it never ended up on the same screen just prior to it rebooting again. It was totally random. It never made it into Windows. I touched the grill of the computer's power supply and it was burning hot. I immediately unplugged the PC.

Letting it cool down overnight the next morning I plugged it back in. The power button light started flashing amber and after pressing the power button the system did not respond. I then unplugged it.

Entering the service tag # into Dell's site I retrieved the power supply's information. I assumed the problem was the power supply because originally when this first happened it was hot and I did not hear a fan.

This is what the service tag stated was in the system
    D533T but the power supply in my system states on the label D255P-00.

Note when I looked on Dell's site and the service tag information came up for my system there was a warning:

"Issue with Support Services" and tells me to contact support (see image attached). I tried to contact support but only links I follow end up attempting to give me a quote for their support charge.

Anyone have any idea why the model # of the power supply in my system does not match the service tag information even as far as the shape being totally different and what this warning means. My past experience with all the systems I looked up according to their service tag #s gave me all the information I needed to order replacement parts.

I'm lost - any guidance would be apprecaited.
    Thank you.

Post the service tag number of that Optiplex 980.

Also, I would open the case and look at the sticker on the power supply itself. Post the model number and wattage that are listed on the failed power supply. It is possible that Dell has had an issue with your particular model of power supply, and they have a different replacement. Note that any replacement must have the same dimensions or shape so it will fit, and the same or higher wattage rating, and the same connectors.

Dell Service Tag 152S9P1

Attached an image of the actual power supply in the PC label.Attachment 15690

There were 3 case sizes for the Optiplex 980 system, a standard tower size, a mini-tower size, and an SFF (Small Form Factor) size. Which one do you have? If you have a full-size, 5.25" bay on the front, it is the standard tower size.

Is your system's power supply a standard box shape, or does it have the extension? From the model number, it sounds like it has the extension on it, as shown in the link below:

https://www.newegg.com/p/1A0-002Y-01AX6

The "Issue" message is likely just that it is a 2010 vintage computer, and there is limited support, if any, from Dell.

Replacement power supplies are available at various prices and quality levels.

I believe my power supply has the extension.
    I can't include pics as I am at my limit of storage. I don't know how to delete older images to make room for newer.

I'll take a pic of the PC and give measurements. It has a bay in front which is for the DVD.
    It's not a tower and don't think it is a SFF

The power supply in the link does look like mine. It is cubed shaped with an extension on the back. The images I can't up load shows that.
    Last edited by question2012; July 28th, 2022 at 05:41 AM.

I don't know how to delete older images to make room for newer.
    Click 'settings' top right then 'attachments' in the left column and then you can check and delete previous uploaded pics.

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

Thanks Fink. I delete some images.

I attached two images.

One showing the dimension of the PC as it lays flat on the desk (around 15"). The overall dimensions is about 15x14x5. I made a mistake in a previous post. Yes, there is a bay in front for 5.25" other than the DVD slot.

The other image is showing the power supply from the top down and what I believe is the extension on it.

I also ran the PC through a test cycle according to a video I found on Dell's site. This video shows how to determine what component has failed in the PC. I was able to determine that it is the power supply in my case that has failed.

For anyone who finds this thread in the future here is the link to help you troubleshoot what component in a Dell computer has failed.

https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/e...-in-one#bs_Six

I had to delete this image in my post #3 of the power supply label so I could make room for other images later in this post.
    My post #7 shows the power supply and the label.

The label says
    Model: D255P-00
    Ref#: DPS-255BB-1A

OK, so that is not the SFF version or the regular tower version, it is the mid sized version. It would have the smaller power supply with the strange extension. Those are available, however, most that I have seen are refurbished. Note that the -01 version should work OK also.

https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Optiplex.../dp/B0068ON1CQ

https://www.amazon.com/S-Union-F255E...dp/B07KFC6LMV/

JDC2000 - Thanks so much for your help!!!!!!

Fink - also thank you to you!!!!!

The two of you have been so helpful with the issues I have had over the past couple of years, especially in helping me select unlocked cell phones.

Jdc2000 -
    The first link you gave me
    https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Optiplex.../dp/B0068ON1CQ
    although I am sure is correct, I hesitated in having my boss buy it. The information was correct but the measurements listed were not matching my physical power supply measurements. The listing stated measurements of 7.2 x 6.6 x 4.4 inches and the power supply I have is 5" wide x 5 3/8" long x 4" high.

My boss, at my request, just ordered the unit in your second link
    https://www.amazon.com/S-Union-F255E...dp/B07KFC6LMV/
    This listing did not specify the dimensions but it does look to be the same sized as mine whereas the first one does seem to be bigger.

Thanks again to the two of your for your fantastic help!!

So much appreciated!!!!

If you don't hear back from me in this thread assume everything is AOKay.

I'll mark this thread "Solved".

It seems it may not have been the power supply afterall.

I put the new one in today and nothing happened at all. I made sure all of the connections were made and solid.

The front power LED light did not even go on.

With the other power supply the front power LED light was a flashing amber.

The green light on the power supply won't go on either. Although it would not go on with the original power supply in it either.

Is this telling me that there may be a problem with the board or something else?

If so it may not even be worth fixing it.

There are still several possibilities.

Have you verified that the power strip or outlet that you are using has good power, or have you tried a different power outlet and/or power strip (is you are using one)?

The new power supply may also be defective. There are power supply testers (which you probably do not have) that can check this.

When the original power supply went out, it may have taken the motherboard with it. Check the board carefully for any burn marks or damaged components. These may be difficult to spot, or there may not be any visible evidence.

Does the new power supply have a fan, and, if yes, does it turn on?

Try it with only the power connectors to the motherboard connected and the video card and any other add-in cards removed, to see what happens, in case one of those components is causing the problem.

Receptacle is good. I'm a retired electrician so I can verify the power at the receptacle.

I tried the new power supply with just the motherboard plugged in and I still don't get any front panel power light at all. Also the fan on the new power supply does not turn on. If I plug in the old one then I still at least get the front panel power light to flash amber.

I looked over the mother board carefully and don't see any burn marks.

We are returning the new power supply as defective.

This computer is 6 years old since I have had it. I will be going to one of our inexpensive spares for now.

Meantime I would like to transfer some data from the old hard drive to the new hard drive or at least recover some of the data from the old hard drive so I can load it onto the computer I will now be using.

I've made backups on with Acronis on an external drive but my last backup has been awhile. There really is not anything crutial on the old drive but if I could get data off of it then it would make my life a bit easier.

I want to transfer data from the drive of this dead system
    Dell Optiplex 980
    Service Tag: 152S9P1

To the system i will use now.
    Dell OptiPlex 790
    Service Tag: 4B50ZQ1

I don't think by looking in the Dell Optiplex 790 that I can hook the old drive up as a slave which would have made it easier. If I am wrong please let me know.

Thanks for your help.

One thing I've done in the past to temp hook up a HDD to a PC to retrieve data is use the existing cables that are hooked up to the CD/DVD drive. Pretty easy if the cables are reasonably accessible and long enough to do the switch/patch. Alternately getting a SATA to USB adapter setup works too but would cost a little bit.. around 25 dollars and up on Amazon etc.

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

Both systems use SATA drives according to the specs that I have seen, so you should be able to plug the drive from the old system into the new system and access the data, as long as you have a SATA port that you can use on the new system. If there are no free ports, you could temporarily disconnect the CD/DVD drive (if there is one) on the new system.

Thread Information