Win 10 pitch and tempo changes

Thread: Win 10 pitch and tempo changes

Win 10 pitch and tempo changes

Any incoming message, whatsapp or email, changes the pitch and tempo of the song I'm working on in Sonar. I'd really like to know why.

Pitch and tempo changes involve shrinking or stretching audio so I don't think it's that. My best guess is that something is altering the bitrate.

The pitch is not always higher, sometimes the song gets slower and the pitch change is down.

Anyone heard of this?

Thanks - rev

What happens if you close your email and messaging programs and web pages while you are working on your audio files? Do you still get pitch or tempo changes?

No, in fact that's what I have to do to avoid the problem.

Exactly. You are not running a super-computer with 128 28-core Xeon processors and 16TB of memory. You are also not running real-time operating system. Processing time is divided between tasks in a way that you do not have control over.

Bottom line: If you are performing a high-intensity processing task, do not have anything else running while doing that.

I have 1 computer for the heavy-duty tasks and one for basic email, Word, etc.

>If you are performing a high-intensity processing task, do not have anything else running while doing that.
    Of course, but I'm no wiser. I wanted to be wiser. If, for example, it's about bitrate, that would suggest that bitrate settings are mismatched somewhere.

>Processing time is divided between tasks in a way that you do not have control over.
    Understood but that doesn't address pitch and tempo. When a youtube vid suddenly starts talking like little pigs at 100 mph and it's something I want to listen to, it would be nice to know how to solve it.

Solved!
    It was a mismatched bitrate setting. The bitrate for the MOTU Traveler is controlled by its Control Panel but there was a different global setting in Win 10 for the default bitrate. I didn't even know it was there. So, when I mixed off an mp3 and closed Sonar, the default setting (which was different) became the active setting and the song played at a different pitch and speed. Once they were set to the same thing, the problem was solved:

Go to the Properties of the default sound device and change the bitrate using the drop down selection found under the Advanced tab.

Thanks for the update. That is one problem that would be difficult for someone else that does not have the same hardware and software you have to diagnose.

Thread Information