Network and Router (compromised)

Thread: Network and Router (compromised)

Network and Router (compromised)

Lets take the following scenario.

I open an instance of my vmware/virtualization. I surf the internet and accidentally go to a website that has malware, viruses, ransom, etc...

I then shut down and discard the instance, at this point, has my network or router been compromised? I know all data files/folders shared between the host and guest can be infected and compromised.

But is my network or router compromised? Can the router password be obtained or can there be a backdoor or entry into my network even when I have blown that instance away already?
    Last edited by Falcon Speed; June 7th, 2022 at 09:43 PM.
    Originally wanted Millenium Falcon as nick but there is character limitation.
    Falcon Speed = Millenium Falcon = Light Speed

If all you did was visit and not download any files or click on any links like ads or weird, unexpected pop up windows which could potentially harbor active malware then it's extremely unlikely that you've got any malware lingering on your computer especially since the whole session is now discarded. Your router's password isn't something that a typical hacker would want. They'd be far more interested in things like banking and email and for that they'd need to infiltrate your computer with a virus that you'd actively downloaded and run.

Still, having said all that it never hurts to run a full antivirus scan just to put yourself at ease.

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

There was a link that was texted to me from an unknown number. I was curious about it so I saved it to notepad and opened it in virtualization. As I suspected, it was a link to a fake creditcard page. Of course I did not enter any real information. Wouldn't they have access to my OS in the virtual at that point? Probably not because I did not download anything. I remember on Youtube where scammers took over users' computer.

Anyway, I think all is safe but I had the question because the Guest and the Host uses NAT, not Bridge. I am not sure if that makes a difference. I just wanted to be sure. Thanks Fink.

Wouldn't they have access to my OS in the virtual at that point?
    Access? No. They'd just be aware that someone was responding to the text and if the address you used had any unique identifiers in it (not too likely under those circumstances) then they'd know it was a response from that specific text they sent. Still not a lot they could do with that except target your number again in hopes of a more fruitful encounter and get you to install some malware on your computer. If you're referring to a text on your phone then I'd block that number and I'd ignore anything like it in the future.

Will do Fink. Thank you for the advice and confirmation.����

No problem

Thread Information