Connecting aerial to TV

Thread: Connecting aerial to TV

Connecting aerial to TV

When my old TV died some years ago I decided to just watch TV through my PC. Recently someone gave me a TV because they had bought a smart one. I still have the TV aerial on my roof but with only about 2 metres of cable attached, as I cut the rest off. So I'll have to buy a length of aerial cable, coaxial I presume, to reconnect the TV. Will it be best to make a new connection at the aerial or join the new cable to the old one which is still attached to the aerial?

Will I be able to get the extra freeview channels through my aerial connection or will I need to buy a freeview box for that?

Since it's only 2 meters of distance difference I'd buy a completely new one to avoid having to attach one or two connectors to the new cable to join them up. That way you would not have to buy the connectors separately or any kind of splicing/crimping tool to do it properly. Also if the connection is in an un-sheltered place like outdoors or in a damp or wet attic or in a wall then you won't have to worry about the joined connection getting wet or dirty and causing problems.

As far as freeview channels, here in Canada/US we get all of our free OTA (over the air) channels tuned into our TVs by default without any extra gear/boxes. I'm not sure about the UK.
    Don't believe everything you think.

Thank you. I presume it's not difficult to attach coaxial cable to the aerial?

That would depend on the aerial/antenna. Mine just has a jack to screw it in. You probably should have a look first though to see.

Quote Originally Posted by fink View Post
    That would depend on the aerial/antenna. Mine just has a jack to screw it in. You probably should have a look first though to see.
    Thank you again for your help.

No problem. Perhaps someone else will have info on the freeview thing.

If you google it I would think the owners manual of the TV will tell you if you need a set top box for freeview channels.

From what I saw on the link I posted, some channels are you do not need a box for, others you do. There should be a channels list that indicates which are which.

Quote Originally Posted by jdc2000 View Post
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by fink View Post
    If you google it I would think the owners manual of the TV will tell you if you need a set top box for freeview channels.
    Thank you.

Thread Information