Thunderbird Address Book

Thread: Thunderbird Address Book

Thunderbird Address Book

Oh no, not him again,

Unfortunately, it is so!

Having managed to import my OE6 wab files (Address for TB is the imported file) into TB 91 , I have been working my way through to create my Neighbourhood Watch group.

I now have 73 names in a group within Address Book, appropriately called, Highlands NHW, under the first group, Address for TB (that was the name of the export wab file.)

Attachment 15679

But when writing the mail, when I hit the BCC button, Contacts opens, there are four All Address Books, Personal AB, Address for TB and Collected AB. But no reference to my Neighbourhood Watch group.

All AB and Address for TB both contain everything, the other two are empty.

Where is my NHW group? If thunderbird does not like the imported file, who can I move it to another folder so that I can use it?

Have been searching the web but all the solutions do not address my issue.

Thanks and toodle pip

What happens if you instead press the CC button? Does the NHW group show then? If yes, that might give us a clue as to what is happening.

AND, if they show up in the CC section - you could try adding them to the email there.... AND then drag them to the BCC section.
    If you're happy and you know it......it's your meds.

Don't understand how it works as it is not as 'easy' as my old OE6 address book, but I have found a solution.

Basically, within any of the Contact Lists, there is an entry listed as NHW. Selecting that and all the group addresses are put into BCC. What I find annoying, it is the same font style as every entry rather than being in bold to indicate that it is a group.

Also, I somehow have Personal Address Book and All Address Book folders, and each contact is listed two or three times in each. I tried remove the duplicate entries but that also affects the enter in whichever group.

How can I create an List that has every contact, and from that, select certain contacts to create a list, such that although there are not two entries for each contact, they only show once in the group and once in Personal Address Book?

Sorry to hark on but.............

I created to Group lists, NHW and Residents. They are more of less the same but some residents have a work e-mail and don't want the NHW stuff.

In the TB Address Book, the listing Address for TB was the imported database and i assume I can delete it? Which will remove the two folders below NHW and Committee. If I select NHW, all the members are listed as I created that from the imported file. But All Address Books has 550 entries while Personal has 163

Attachment 15684

The reason probably is because All is listing every entry in every address book, hence the duplicates. But there are duplicate in personal also, which are obviously copies of those in NHW and Committee. But when I tried deleting the duplicates, they also were deleted from NHW and Committee.

Is there a way to only have single entries in All AB and Personal AB?

Now to move to the Write tab. Address Book does not exist but is called Contacts. When that is open, the groups (NHW and Committee) are not listed.

But All AB and Personal both have a listing of NHW and Committee set among the entire address list, which I can select and put into CC or BCC. But there is no NHW group listing in the Contact pull down menu.

Attachment 15685

The OE6 Address Book seems so easy.

Sorry for the confusing questions; if I were to read this, I don't think I would understand what is the question!
    Last edited by Rekusu; June 29th, 2022 at 08:08 AM.

Address lists and groups work differently from OE6. If you delete an entry from ALL, if is deleted everywhere. The ALL list is just what is says. You probably cannot create a separate list that will not also show up in the ALL list.

Note:

You should have an EXPORTED version of all of your contact information, in case of any issues or problems, so you can re-import or recreate anything that might get messed up while you are trying to get things set up the way you want.

Possibly useful links:

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb...ts-thunderbird

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1329959

https://www.lifewire.com/mailing-lis...erbird-1173109

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/for...n-thunderbird/

https://addons.thunderbird.net/en-us.../?sort=created

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I will look at backing-up the address book.

But I think I have found a solution to the above issue.

By selecting NHW in Address Book, I can then go to the Write tab and the blank e-mail opens with all the addresses entered. I can then select BCC and we are good to go.

I saw that solution in one of my search results as well. Glad it is working for you.

Remember, Thunderbird is NOT Outlook Express. You may need to look for a different way of doing something, but there is likely to be a way to do whatever you need, it is just a matter of figuring out how Thunderbird is designed to do it.

"Remember, Thunderbird is NOT Outlook Express."

You're right; have to reprogramme the muscle memory!

Thread Information