Import dbx into Thunderbird

Thread: Import dbx into Thunderbird

Import dbx into Thunderbird

What ho one and all,

Am now using thunderbird and would like to import my OE6 messages and folders. Unfortunately, the version of OE6 was something I found, adjusted to work with W7 but not 'seen' by the Thunderbird 'import' function.

Also, I relocated the OE6 file location to a folder on D: All the folders are there but how do I import into TB? The only option is Outlook, which I don't have so TB is unable to find the files. Can I manually import and if so, how?

Thanks

What file types can TB import?

OE6 has an export function... Maybe you can go that direction.
    If you're happy and you know it......it's your meds.

I was able to drag and drop emails both one at a time and bunches at a time into Thunderbird folders from my previous email program The Bat. Don't know if that will work with OE but worth a try and easy to do.

Also try dragging and dropping first to your desktop or a folder on the computer then to Thunderbird.

Also:

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1273316

A good site for researching Thunderbird issues.

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

Have yet to figure out how to import the dbx files. have tried a number of converters which work, but as it is only two computers, reluctant to pay the 325 for each to have two versions of whichever program for a one time use.

Having a bit more luck with importing the Address book (wab files) Have converted to csv with Dawn and can import into TB, but the fields are not aligned. Have a list of the TB field names and order so re-organising in Excel is the next task.

Which brings me to the questions. TB fields are First Name, Last Name, Display Name, Nickname, etc. and I understand I need to reorder. But Display Name is only listed as Name in the csv. Do I need to rename the columns as the TB required names or can I leave them as they have exported from Address Book?

When opening the csv in Excel, the column widths do not display the complete information, although it is there. Do i need to alter the column widths?

On a different topic, I have found some TB Add-ons and have larger and nicer icons. Also found an about:config adjustment to increase the menu bar text sizing. However, the incoming file header list seems to be double spaced (more or less) and I cannot find how to adjust to single spacing. Is there an about:config tweak to adjust?

Thanks and toodle pip

For importing into Thunderbird, the Excel column widths will not matter. You could rename the column header in Excel, it wouldn't hurt, although it is probably not needed for the import into Thunderbird.

Not sure what you are referring to on the double spacing issue. If it is just for the file import however, it may not be something you would have to deal with more than once.

Gentlemen, (or would People be a more gender neutral term?)

As usual, thanks for the input; it is much appreciated.

The 'version' of OE6 that is working with W7 is something I found during internet searching and is a 'work around' program. It works for e-mail as it should, but some of the deeper bells and whistles are not included. Exporting the Address Book to a csv is fine, but when doing the same for the e-mail folders, I receive an error message.

Will try the copy and paste method; will also rework the csv file with the same headings.

Regarding the message line spacing, the two attachments show OE6 and TB

Attachment 15677

Attachment 15678

Want to see more messages listed in the received window.

To add to the 'confusion', I changed the OE6 message store location and now, none of the back-up programs can find it. They do not have a change directory option, they assume the default location is correct. So they export nothing.
    Last edited by Rekusu; June 15th, 2022 at 02:59 AM.

Kinda having some success with importing the Address Book as a csv but the fields are a mess and to re-arrange will be time consuming. First and last names are not appearing but the listings are in Display Name order.

One annoying feature is in my wab files, I have some e-mail groups but these are not appearing in the csv; everything is one big pile of names. Every time I try with the individual groups, I receive an error message and that task is not completed.

I did try The Bat but did not like the GUI. But I may try again; if I can import the dbx and wab, then import into TB, that may be the workaround.

As another option, I see that earlier versions of TB did offer Outlook Express as an import option. Now it is only Outlook.

I see the TB 38 has OAuth2 specs; would it be worth installing to see if I can import from OE6?

TB 38 was released in 2015. It would definitely not have 0Auth2.0. Version 91.8.0 released in April 2022 is the first version that will be compatible with Gmail's current req's.

I used the Bat for over ten years and really liked it but this time did not want to pay yet another 40 dollars to upgrade to a version that would work with new Gmail so I switched to TB. The Bat is definitely easier to set up than TB though so it may be an option to consider. You could try the trial version to see how well it imports from OE.

Also the Bat is what I was using when I was able to just drag and drop emails from it directly into Thunderbird so you could try that as well with the trial version.

On the line spacing issue, both of the images show that single line spacing is being used, however, Thunderbird has larger margins (top and bottom) for each line. What you are really wanting is more lines in the window. That would be a question for the Thunderbird forums. I will look into it on one of my home computers where I have Thunderbird installed to see if I can find a way to do that later.

As far as the OE6 backup programs not seeing the changed file location(s), what backup programs are you using? You may need to use something else like Microsoft's SyncToy or SyncBack from 2BrightSparks where you can select the file locations.

For the groups in the .wab file, you may have to create your own groups while you are re-arranging things in Excel. Make a group, import it into Thunderbird, put those contacts into a Thunderbird group or folder, the work on the next group to import.

You could also install an older version of Thunderbird (do not install both versions at the same time), import the OE6 data, then export it in a different format that the newer Thunderbird can import, uninstall the older Thunderbird version and install the latest version, and import the data.

Update. Reinstalled The Bat to see if I can import dbx and wab files. Holy schmolly; no problems; they are all there; every dbx file and folder and the wab groups. Didn't even have to point to the file location, all done by default.

But when I try to import from The Bat into TB, there is no reference to The Bat on the import screen.

Since I am having these Google created mail problems, and I will have to go thorough it all again when I get to my wife's computer, I may as well install an older version of TB and try that work-around. Will take an image first so I can at least get back to where I am with setting up TB the way I want.

Thank you Google, I have better things to do than *&@~**!! around with this.

Like I said in a previous post you can drag and drop emails from the Bat directly into TB mail folders. One at a time or as many as you hilite. very easy. Resize the two programs so their each showing on half of your monitor and drag away.

You are all being very patient with me!

Rather than remove the TB install, I found a TB 60 as portable app and put that onto a thumbdrive. Works fine and have managed to import the old OE6 dbx and wab files, mainly because importing from OE was an option.

Have copied the Outlook Import folder and address folder from the portable app profile to the TB profile folder and now I can read them all. So things are looking good.

But the address info is a bit messed up. Guess I will just have to go through the entries individually to correct phone numbers and address which in many cases, are in the wrong fields.

Then will have to recreate the groups.

Thread Information