[RESOLVED] Batch file?

Thread: [RESOLVED] Batch file?

Resolved [RESOLVED] Batch file?

What ho one and all,

I save all my created docs to D: which is currently 32 gb of data.

I use a program called File Hamster that backs-up anything saved to D: on the fly, to J: as a back-up and it has saved me a number of times. The program is set to keep the last three changes. J is around 80gb.

I use OE6 as my e-mail program, I have set the default store to a folder on D: and that is automatically saved to the back-up library on J:

The largest e-mail folder is the Delete box, which I do empty frequently. The problem is that every time I do anything within OE6, any folders that has changed is saved to J. The challenge is that there is one piece of file data that changes every time, the time stamp.

The result is that J fills up with a very large amount of Delete box files because that time stamp is always being updated.

I frequently have to go into the J/email folder and manually delete all the Delete box back-ups. Not a big deal but annoying.

What would a batch file look like that by clicking, will delete all the files within a specific folder? I am not a batch file expert so unsure what to do.

Thanks

In the REAL VERSION of OE that is created by Microsoft, OE creates a file called Delete.mbx .

That file can be manually deleted from within Windows Explorer.... Doing that - there would be nothing to backup.

To answer your question at the very basic level: (course there are 8 years worth of reading on the internet)

Delete C:\Folder Name\File Name.???

COMMAND (delete) and Where is it located and what is it's name...

Save it in Notepad and call it WhatEverYouWant.BAT

Actually, it may not be that easy. If File Hamster is doing what I suspect, there are multiple Delete.mbx files in multiple folders.

Post the COMPLETE PATH to a sample Delete.mbx file that you want deleted. You may need a small application of some type to delete these files.

Here are some links with information on the del command:

https://www.get-itsolutions.com/crea...lete-file-cmd/

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...s-commands/del

https://www.lifewire.com/delete-command-2625859

Depending on what path(s) are in your backups, a For loop in the batch file might work.

https://serverfault.com/questions/27...ll-sub-folders

A better solution would be to add an Exclude rule (if possible) to File Hamster so that it does not backup the Delete.mbx file. They do not seem to have any available information to non-registered users, but you should be able to get the necessary information on how to set it up that would tell us if there is an Exclude option. There should be one in there somewhere.

Gentlemen,

Thanks for your thoughts.

Created a simple batch file and it works a treat. Put a shortcut on the Desktop. Only problem was an Access Denied message but when I inserted the /F switch, all is good.

echo Empty File Hamster E-Mail backup Folder
    del "J:\D~\BackUp\E-Mail\*.*" /F
    echo Done!
    Pause

Now I can hit the shortcut every couple of days. Only problem is that the E-Mail folder actually holds all DBX folders. Solution is to hit Send/Receive in OE6 and they are all recreated.

But it will make life slightly easier.

Thread Information