E-mail not working

Thread: E-mail not working

E-mail not working

What ho one and all,

Ignoring the fact that both my wife and myself are running older systems (W7 with OE6), we currently have a POP3 issue.

The OS and OE6 has been working under POP3 for a few years without any problems.

But last week, Send/Receive threw up the Confirm User Name and Password message. Clicking OK only recycled the same message. I tried a few things unsuccessfully, but finally, it started working again. I figured it was a G-Mail maintenance thing. All has been fine for the past week.

Yesterday, the same thing happened again. Now Send/Receive give the same message. I have checked the G-Mail settings are correct based upon what Google suggests for POP3 all all is good to go. But still, nothing.

Uncertain what I can do next so grateful for any suggestions.

Thanks and toodle pip

Try changing the password... Maybe that will refresh/update the record.

Next I would try Uninstall/Reinstall OE.

https://support.google.com/accounts/.../6010255?hl=en

Google/gmail no longer supports programs like OE6. It can still work but you've got to
    follow the instructions above.

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

Thanks for the links. The theory seems fine, but the reality is not so good. Under the tab relating to turning an app on, the only option says, 'This option is no longer available.'

Seems that lockout only happened from May 30, 2022.

You may need to sign in with an app password.. see this article.

It says to not bother remembering the new password. I would write in down
    somewhere anyway.

https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/185833

Thanks for your reply. Have to admit that I don't understand what is an App Password?

Also, the Google instructions say "At the bottom, choose Select app and choose the app you using and then Select device and choose the device you’re using and then Generate."

OE6 is not listed, only a list of programs (Dropbox, LinkedIn (don't use it an don't know why it is there) and a bunch of other stuff that I may have tried but don't use.)

What I like about OE6 is the simplicity and the fact that both the program and all my e-mails, are on my computer, not accessible only from the cloud. Also, seems that most alternatives will not import my wab address files.

What is an alternative program that will work on my computer in a similar way?

As regards a program, I read about an app, program or e-mail client; what is the difference?

I switched to Thunderbird which is up to gmail's new security standards. I've grown to like it a great deal. And it's free although once I kept using it I donated $20 to the developers.

https://www.thunderbird.net/

I read about an app, program or e-mail client; what is the difference?

All the same thing. "app" is the newest way ever since phones started becoming a popular way to run programs about ten years ago. Client is the oldest.

It also allows you to import your WAB address book and import old emails..

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/989835

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/988031

Have installed Windows Essential Mail but again, that does not appear to be approved.

What I don't understand, in the G-Mail help files, there is "Manage access to less secure apps" It informs what to do, but under my account settings, there is no reference to OE6 or even Essential Mail. And I cannot find a link to how to tell G-mail that I allow these programs to run.

There surely is a way (and don't call me Shirley!)

Windows essential email was released in 2012 and support for it ended in 2017 so it's not surprising it doesn't have the current security standards necessary for gmail's new req's. You need to install a modern email client that is up to current security specs. The email program needs to support something called 0Auth 2.0

Among others.. Thunderbird, The Bat, newer versions of MS Outlook.

Outlook Express does not appear to be usable with GMail any more. You have 2 options:

1. Use something with OAuth 2.0 capability, as already suggested.

2. Dump GMail. It has lots of other issues also. Of course, this can be a huge pain if you have lots of contacts that will have to be informed of the change.

https://msfn.org/board/topic/183369-...tlook-express/

Can't say I have resolved the issue as OE6 has nothing that conforms with OAuth2 specs.

At the moment, I am trying Thunderbird; initial reaction is that I don't like it, but now I have some Add-ons that improve the GUI, I kinda have not choice but to try.

Which takes me to the next question, for which I will star a new thread.

Thanks for the advice; always appreciated.

Thread Information