WhatsApp account hijacking

Thread: WhatsApp account hijacking

WhatsApp account hijacking

https://blog.malwarebytes.com/social...all-forwarding
    The methods consists of several steps and it takes some social engineering skills, but it’s good to be aware of the possibility and how it works. It starts with the threat actor reaching out to a victim and convincing them to call a specific number.

Call forwarding

The number the threat actor will try to convince you to call is not always the same, but most of the times it will look like this **67*<10 digit number> or *405*<10 digit number>.
    Someone tried this on me a few weeks ago. I just ignored and deleted it as I would any calls I don't recognize but it helps to know what they were trying to do.

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

Thanks for the link, fink.

I do not have a WhatsApp account, however, whenever you see a phone number that starts with an asterisk (*), you know that it has to be a scam. The * is used for special functions only and would never be part of a legitimate phone number. This could be used for takeover of other accounts, not just WhatsApp, that use your phone number for verification of admin functions.

I do not have a WhatsApp account
    Yeah, I don't really want one either but require it for a once or twice/year meeting/call for work related stuff. I'm not a big fan of social contact apps or websites on my phone or my computer and avoid them as much as I can.

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

Thread Information