Transferring data

Thread: Transferring data

Transferring data

What ho one and all,

I will admit that I am frequently confused with how to solve on-going or new issues.

I have a Samsung Galaxy J5 phone that in the past was connected via a USB socket on my Dell Ultrasharp U2007 monitor.

Unfortunately, the monitor died and I have a replacement, an Ultrasharp 2422H. The phone is plugged into one of the USB sockets for charging but I can no longer transfer photos from the phone to the computer. Plug the phone and it is not showing anywhere.

I'm not sure if I have to reinstall the transfer software (why, since the computer has not changed) or there is a setting in the monitor that I have to change, but I cannot find one.

Grateful for any advice.

Thanks and toodle pip

Is there a USB cable from the monitor to the computer? If not, you need one. Check the manual for where to connect it.

https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/e...non-functional

Monitor manual:

https://dl.dell.com/manuals/all-prod...uide_en-us.pdf

Did you try a different USB port on the computer?

Optionally you could do what I do and set up a https://www.dropbox.com/ account. Then you can upload whatever media you like (photos, docs, movies, files etc) to drop box from the phone and download whatever you want to keep on your computer. Works both ways phone <> computer, has lots of online storage space available with the free version -2Gigs- and you can do things like store files/photos and give secure links to them to other people to access if you wish.

I very rarely get any email from them and it seems quite secure. Still, I don't store any important financial or personal documents there or anywhere else online for that matter.

Note that doing all this via your wireless internet connection from your phone is free assuming you don't have any upload/download limits on your ISP's plan but if you use your phone's data transfer via your phone company then it could cost you money.

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

Thanks for the replies; will investigate the Dropbox idea.

With my old U2007, I plugged the phone into the monitor via the USB port on the monitor and the W7 AutoRun feature started (if the phone was on!!)

The U2433H has three USB type A ports but what the difference is, I don't know. All seem to supply power to the phone for charging, but the W7 AutoRun does not start. I have looked at the Dell User Manual but have to admit, don't understand the terminology.

Page 28 of this link is telling me what? https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...wEes3ZAmFodpSA

The previous monitor certainly had what I believe to be a USB B cable from the computer and I then plugged the phone into the monitor. The U243H does not, but from my pre-buying conversations with Dell, I was under the impression the the USB A supplied power and data.

Thought it was Plug 'n Play but seems to be Plug 'n Zilch; what am I missing?
    Last edited by Rekusu; May 25th, 2022 at 01:21 PM.

Do you have a USB cable from the monitor to the computer, as shown in the first link I posted? If not, you need one.

The phone is plugged into one of the USB sockets for charging
    If it is specifically a charging port, it may not work for data. Try a normal USB port.

I have the USB B cable as the previous monitor had a port on the back. But this one does not.

Can only assume that Dell decided this monitor is not need it as all the USB sockets are accessible from below; my previous had two on the side which where easy to access.

There a USB C port, which my phone had. May be I can use that to connect the phone, but will it also charge?

You've already figured out how to charge....

Did you connect the phone directly to your computer, not the monitor?

Solved. In the box is a USB A to USB C; I thought this was something to connect the phone to the monitor, but having re-read the instructions and plugged it in, I now see that is is doing what my previous USB A to USB B was doing.

So now I can access the phone.

Just need to buy another cable as Dell only supply a 1m length and I need around 1.5m!!!

However, there is a but....

Searching for a suitable cable, listing provide a range of Samsung models. Is that relevant to me, as I am only going from the computer (USB A ) to the monitor (USB C). I am using the cable that came with the phone USB A in the monitor to USB C on the phone for the actual charging and data access.

Or to put is another way, for a cable from the computer to the monitor (A to C), is any cable suitable?
    Last edited by Rekusu; May 26th, 2022 at 07:34 AM.

Unless your monitor is different than the one I provided the link for, the cable from the COMPUTER to the MONITOR should be a USB A to USB B. Once you have that connected, all you need is your USB C to USB A adapter for the phone. You can either get a longer USB C to USB A adapter cable, or an extension USB A to USB A cable.

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-...00NH12O5I?th=1

My monitor does not have a USB B, only various A and one C.

But my phone Galaxy J5 pre-dates C. Not sure what the socket but it has a Samsung cable with USB A at one end. This now does charging when plugged into the monitor, but no data. ?But now I have connected the USB A / USB C from computer to monitor, I do get data.

My question was, in needing a longer cable, all searching provides cables with specific phone, My guess is that it makes no difference as I only need a C fitting for the monitor. Or an extension USB with male / female sockets.

None of that matches up with any of the data I have been able to find on either the phone model or the monitor model that you specified.

However, assuming that I have correctly determined that you are searching for a longer cable to connect the phone to the monitor, you only need one of the following:

1. A longer adapter/cable to connect the phone to the monitor, replacing your existing cable.

2. An extension cable with appropriate connectors to connect to the monitor on one end and to connect to the monitor end of your existing phone cable/adapter on the other end.

3. An extension cable with appropriate connectors to connect to tour phone on one end and a connector to connect to phone end of your existing phone cable/adapter on the other end.

My first choice would be option 2, followed by option 1.

Thank you for your detailed response.

Think the extension USB A male to USB A female is the way to go as that is what I am currently using. Only need less than one meter but the one I am using is around 6m and I don't want all the untidy cable stacked behind the computer.

But as the cables will hardly break the bank, may be I will try 1 first.

Again thanks for your thoughts; much appreciated.

Thread Information