55 Online Devices on my home WiFi network I don't recognize-How??

Thread: 55 Online Devices on my home WiFi network I don't recognize-How??

55 Online Devices on my home WiFi network I don't recognize-How??

Router EA6900 Linksys

Small home (less than 1,000 square feet) and only about 10 devices that I recognize and assigned specific names to them thru my router settings so I know what is online and when but I see about 55 other not recognized online devices also showing on my router. These 55 devices all have different MAC addresses but are showing that they are all online. WTF!!

How do I knock them all off line. I don't know what devices they are.

My WiFi password is 18 digits long and has upper, lower, symbols and #s and not sequences such as ABCD or 1234 in them. Have nothing to do with my birthdate, names of friends etc.

I live on a small street with just 3 neighbors and never had this problem before. I also noticed that my WiFi extender was renamed from what I named it to "Fuk Off".

This issue seems to be an extension to another post of mine here
    Home WiFi-Error attempting to access "Guest" SSID
    https://discussions.virtualdr.com/sh...uest-quot-SSID
    Re-cap of this post: My roommate's girlfriend-I only want her to be on "Guest" SSID on her phone but my router assigns port 10080 for guest. I have been trying to find a browser that I can reconfigure on her phone to give her access to this denied port - no luck. I even tried Firefox Nightly but can't find instructions online to reconfigure to allow port 10080.

It seems from my deduction that she has been attempting to gain access to the main SSID and I am confident that she renamed my extender (I just found this out recently that it was renamed).

I'm wondering how I can have so many online devices each with different MAC addresses. I have very strong feelings that it is her. I asked my roommate for her phone so I can check her MAC address to see if it matched any of the online devices but now I see phones have several MAC address - IP Address, WiFi MAX address, Device WiFi MAC address, Bluetooth Address so I don't know which one to use to compare to the online devices. But still, how could I have so many online devices at one time each having different MAC addresses.

I really think she is attempting to break into the main SSID or mess up the system all together. How can I prove it is her as my roommate said that if it is her he will throw her out. She was telling him what sites he was on when he was using his phone several times.

I already had to reset my router and assign new passwords to local and Linksys site to configure the router and it took me over 5 hours to set up all of the devices in the house with the new passwords etc.

So my main question is how do I prove it is her and how do I disconnect all of the 55 online devices that are showing on my router? I don't want to have to reset my WiFi main SSID password again as these online devices showed up after I reset it already so apparently she knows how to get around it. I want to throw her out but that is not an option quite yet. I want to prove she is messing with the WiFi somehow.

Owners Manual: https://usermanual.wiki/LINKSYS/EA6900.User-Manual-pdf

About half way down under the advanced settings/section it describes how to allow/disallow MAC addresses access through the router. You can give your own known devices' MAC address access and disallow all others.

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

now I see phones have several MAC address - IP Address, WiFi MAX address, Device WiFi MAC address, Bluetooth Address so I don't know which one to use to compare to the online devices.
    MAC addresses are HARDWARE addresses, and are different from IP addresses. Each NIC has a MAC address. For WIFI, there would only be one MAC on the phone to connect to your network. BT and WiMAX devices wouldn't connect to WIFI.

Fink - I was afraid you would suggest MAC address disallow. I had that in the back of my mind but also saw something on youtube a while back that said that disallowing or allowing only certain MAC addresses really was not that secure. Two years ago I had only allowed certain MAC addresses on the router until I saw that youtube video. But then again I am a retired electrician and not all youtube videos of someone showing how to do something electrical in your home is correct either. I always thought you could believe everything you saw on the internet

Thanks Midknyte for that explanation on MAC addresses. Things are getting more and more complicated now. I used to be an IT Analyst back in 1993-2004. Amazing how much things have changed since then. I used to mainly do Crystal Report writing and back in 1998-2004 I programmed on DEC (Digital Equip Corp) DCL on a MicroVax 2000 I wrote an entire "Accounts Payable" package - call me a dinosaur if you want. I also dabbled in SQL in 2000-2003
    Last edited by question2012; May 24th, 2022 at 11:39 AM.

Thread Information