[RESOLVED] Lost sound

Thread: [RESOLVED] Lost sound

Resolved [RESOLVED] Lost sound

What ho one and all,

I have a Dell Dimension 9200 running W7 with a Quadro P2000 GPU. Until yesterday, the monitor was a Dell U2007FP but has not been upgraded to a Dell U2422H.

Until yesterday, the Dell speakers, which are USB, into a rear computer port, worked just fine with sound when using the internet or MPC-HC.

Today, I still have sound over the internet (so the speakers are working) but nothing, zilch, nada from MPC-HC.

I have tried to reset things within the MPC Options menu, but there is no reason that they shold ahve changed from the default speakers. In Control Panel, they are selected as the default speakers, but the test sound does not play.

Have not idea what to do next; any suggestions gratefully taken on board.

Thanks and toodle pip

You may need to install the drivers for the monitor. No guarantees, but it may work.

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en...onitor/drivers

Have been trying to do that but it does not like W7.

Have found under the nVidia control panel that the DP setting lists the monitor for sound. But the monitor does not have speakers, I have external speakers plugged into the back of the computer (USB). It may be that I need to plug the speakers into a monitor USB port, although there is also an audio out 3.5mm socket on the monitor.

Is there a way to disconnect the DP sound setting?

The speakers are working with the Control Panel test, but nothing from MPC-HC. Have just reinstalled the program and still, nothing.

The Dell software already installed in an attempt to find a solution, does not have any sound options.
    Last edited by Rekusu; May 19th, 2022 at 11:58 AM.

If you had not changed how the speakers were set up, and the new monitor (and probably the old monitor) had no speakers, then changing the monitor out should not have had any effect on the sound settings.

You may need to change the settings for the sound on MPC-HC.

Links:

https://cyberraidentech.blogspot.com...-settings.html

https://www.google.com/search?q=mpc-...sound+settings

Don't know if it is interesting, but just throws more confusion into the works.

Downloaded and installed to a separate folder, MPC portable app and not surprisingly, all my files play with sound. And that is with the speakers plugged into the computer rear USB port.

So why does the installed version have no sound?

So why does the installed version have no sound?
    Some setting for the installed version has changed somehow. You will need to locate that setting and adjust it.

I basically have every MPC file option checked, so when selecting any file, MPC automatically starts. It is still doing that, but no sound.

If I start MPC and from the menu, select a file, again, it plays, but no sound.

However, with MPC portable, opening the program and selecting a file, it play with sound. But I have been unable to make MPC portable the default program.

It is certainly something with MPC as all the Control Panel tests have the speakers working.

I am so happy that computers are designed to make my life simpler!!

Reinstalled MPC-HC and still no sound.

Uninstalled MPC-HC and reinstalled and it is working again.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Thumbs up

Now that you have everything working again, now might be a good time to get into the habit of weekly backups?

https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree and scroll down to the "Reflect 8 Free" version.

Saved my bacon more times than I'll ever remember.

Thanks for the recommendation. I don't do weekly but usually take a monthly image.

As for the important stuff, basically, everything in MyDocs, I use a brilliant program that I am constantly surprised that is not higher on the 'nust install' and popularity list.

Called My Hamster, it runs in the background and makes copies of whatever target files / folders it is pointed at, to another hdd (or wherever you create your destination.) It to has saved me on a number of occasions.

Cool. I'll have to give it a look. Thanks!

Apologies; it is called File Hamster, not My Hamster.

When I got hold of it, it was freeware and seems to run on any Win based OS. Don't know what the story is these days as I had it on XP and now W7.

As an example of how I use it, I managed to find an 'altered' version of OE6 that I have installed on both W7 and W8.1 and use as POP3. I changed the message store location to a folder on D: My Docs, that I call E-Mail. All e-mail operations come and go from that folder.

File Hamster requires a 'Library' to be set anywhere, and a 'Watch' location. I have everything in D; set to be watched, and every time I open, send, create, receive any e-mail, all folders are backed up to my library as it happens. There are options to save any number of back revisions, but with OE6, there is one caveat. Since each *dbx folder is time stamped, if I hit Send/Receive twice with no new incoming/outgoing messages, although what I see is the same, the file time stamp has changed and File Hamster saves again, as a new file.

Result is that the library store fills rather quickly with *dbx files and I have to weekly, empty it, then send/receive again to have a recent back-up. Not a deal breaker, just have to ensure that my Library partition is large.
    Last edited by Rekusu; May 22nd, 2022 at 05:28 AM.

Sound issue in laptops are common problems check out this it will help you in fixing your dell sound https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/e...ting%20process.

Thanks; it is a desktop, not laptop but reinstalling MPC-HC has cured the problem.

Thread Information