Monitor died?

Thread: Monitor died?

Monitor died?

What ho one and all,

Yesterday evening, all was working as it should. This morning, the monitor went through POST and as Windows started, the screen when black (Black Screen of Death?) as the power light died.

I have checked the plug, fuse, cable, sockets and there is power to the monitor. When I tried again, thought I had solved it (bad connection) but as above, the screen went black as Windows started.

Is there anything I can try or is it time for the graveyard? I know it is around 12 years old, but was working just fine.

Thanks and toodle pip

If the monitor's power light is also going out that's def not a good sign. Still, I'd try two things before I throw it away.. hook it up to another computer and see what happens and also try another monitor with your computer to see what happens. Obviously if all things point to just the monitor in question malfunctioning then it may well be time for a new one. 12 yrs old is a long time for a monitor and if you buy a new one now it will look a lot better because of newer monitor technology since that one was made.

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

Thanks for your fast reply.

Will try both your suggestions. Because the power light goes out, or as at the moment, will not come on, tend to feel that it is an internal power issue rather than something with the computer.

Did a Google search and seems that capacitors on the monitor board give up and are easily replaced. May give that a try but think you are correct, a new monitor is the way to go.

Didn't really need tocheck anything. Yesterday, I had the stand-by amber lights, powered up, laghts went green and she booted to the desktop, no problems.

Then, 10 seconds later, blam; the black screen of death!!! All light off.

Definitely something wrong with the monitor. Since it is powered from its own power supply rather than the pc, unlikely to be a pc power supply problem.

Does that monitor have a power brick type of power supply, or is the power supply built into the monitor itself, and it just has a standard power cord? A replacement power brick should be relatively easy to obtain. It might still be possible to replace or repair an internal power supply also.

Just a cable from wall socket to back of monitor.

From what I have been searching, the most likely cause is a blown capacitor on the power board. I do plan to open it and see what is what. I'm hardly an electronics expert but am capable of soldering a replacement capacitor.

"It might still be possible to replace or repair an internal power supply also. " Grateful for enlightenment.
    Last edited by Rekusu; May 11th, 2022 at 02:30 AM.

If, for no other reason that 'fun', I'm going to take a £5 punt on a new capacitor. Have opened the montior and the main smoothing capacitor is obviously not in pristine condition.

If it works, that is fine, if not, I am going to buy a larger, sharper replacement anyway.

Capacitor arrived and replaced. Surprised to find that the monitor fired up just fine, but there is an annoying BUT!!!!!

I was a little heavy handed in my very careful attempts to remove the bezel resulting in a black dead zone on the lower edge with some black horizontal line across the screen plus a couple of white verticals lines.

Obviously, these are not really assemble to be dismantled but the bezel was challenging to get started.

Oh well, lesson learnt.

Thread Information