Missing drive in Windows 10

Thread: Missing drive in Windows 10

Cool Missing drive in Windows 10

Hello,

I was hoping someone could give me a hand. I have a computer I built a few years ago. It has been sitting in a closet for the past two years. I dusted it off and started it up.

It seems to be OK, except I can't see my second hard drive. I have a 250 gb SSD for my OS - Win 10 Home. This is my C: drive. My DVDrom is my D: drive. I have a 1 tb sata drive for storage. This is the one I can't "see" in windows explorer.

But when I open Disk Management I see all three drives. There is:
    Disk 0 Basic 232.87 gb Online C Healthy boot, page file, etc)
    Disk 1 Basic 931.51 gb Online It has 2 partitions-- 923.80 Healthy Primary Partition and a 7.71 gb Healthy Primary Partition
    DVD D drive

I am currently playing catch up on all missed updates. Can anyone offer any suggestions to make my drive reappear?

Thanks very much. I appreciate your help.

Don
    Toolman55

What happens when you're in disk management and right click the invisible drive(s) and select open or explore?
    Is there anything on those drives you want to keep? You could try formatting the smaller 7.7Gig one to see what happens or if you get any error messages.

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

Why is your DVD drive assigned to D: ? Try assigning it to something like R:, and then see if you can assigned D: to the second hard drive.

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

I tried your suggestion. When I right clicked on the drive the only choice I had was "Delete this volume". I did that. Then right clicking allowed me to "Create a simple Volume"--and assign a drive letter.
    Also, I got a warning that said "This volume was not created by windows (and some other doom and gloom stuff)". I followed the directions and the drive immediately showed up in windows explorer.

I have moved files and programs around and all is working as it should.

Thank you fink and Midknyte for responding. I appreciate you taking the time.
    Toolman55

Thread Information