Home WiFi-Error attempting to access "Guest" SSID

Thread: Home WiFi-Error attempting to access "Guest" SSID

Home WiFi-Error attempting to access "Guest" SSID

Router - Linksys Model: Linksys24480

Please see the two attached errors I get from a phone and a laptop.

I have had this router for years but now just really dealing dealing with using the "Guest" portion.

I have "guest" access enabled on my router. The guest SSID shows up on the list of SSIDs when you go to settings on my laptop or any of the phones in the house (about 4 different phones). We all use Android phones and the laptop is not a Mac

If I take one my phones and attempt to connect to my guest SSID I receive an error message

"net::ERR_UNSAFE_PORT" (attached pics will show this)

This message appears before you can even enter the password for the guest SSID.

Since this is happening on all of the phones and my laptop and we use different brand name browsers I have to assume there is a setting somewhere in the router that may be causing this issue. I don't mess the router settings that often so I could not even tell you what the last setting I changed was on the router.

I don't know if this has anything to do with this problem but very recently before I attempted to set up a guest SSID my housemate's and his girlfriend were having personal issues between themselves. She told him one day that she knew what sites he was looking at on his phone and she was correct. His phone is password locked and when he was looking at these sites he had the phone in his possession so she was not actually looking/working with his phone in her hand.

Coincidence or not a day later I went to access my router and found that I could not gain access to it either locally or using my account with Linksys. I hardly ever go into my router settings thru a browser but I made it a point to do so when my housemate told me what his girlfriend told him. I had no issues accessing my router prior to that event. The router is in a public area of my home. My thoughts are that she may have pressed the "reset" button on the router and messed with it somehow. She says she did nothing with the router while we were gone. The router is on the same electrical circuit as a few other devices in the same room one of them a digital plug in clock and I noticed when I got home with my housemate that the clock was blinking indicating it lost power. Coincedence again I don't know. But I do know that I have shut the power off to this circuit many times in the past for other reasons and I never lost access to my router. I had to reset the router and set all my devices up all over again because I don't trust her and actually neither does he. Meantime, I have read that if she uses the guest SSID she will not have access to other devices on the home main SSID and this is why I am now starting to use the guest SSID - but I keep getting that error message. It won't even open a browser to allow us to enter the password for the guest SSID. I would really appreciate some assistance on this issue. I don't want to have to give her the main SSID household password. Ijust don't trust her. I am now thinking I will have to move my modem and router into my bedroom which is locked and I have security camera in there.

Any ideas as to why we don't get the browser popup to be able to enter the guest password?

Help please!!

Thanks

Attachment 15663Attachment 15664

I don't see that Linksys router model number on their website. Please verify.

In any case, this seems to be a problem specific to Linksys routers, because they use port 10080 for the guest network. Port 10080 is blocked by most browsers now.

https://www.reddit.com/r/HomeNetwork...google_chrome/

You'd have to explicitly allow port 10080 for the browser, or use a different browser (Not Chrome or Firefox):
    https://www.oneminutevideotutorials....n-unsafe-port/

OH Wow - I am so sorry. Gave the incorrect information. The model # is in tiny print and I gave you what I thought was the model #.

Corrected ---> Linksys Model: EA6900

I bought this router back in 2013. It has served me well since then so I felt no need to buy a newer one.

Midknyte - I am sorry that I wasted your time looking for the incorrect model #. Please forgive me.

I used to be so good with computers back in 2002 but I have not kept in touch with computer technology and being 66 years old now I find it difficult to follow some things.

I did read up on the links you provided. Thank you. I understand a bit of what it is saying.
    Overall security reasons the developers of Chrome and Firefox have blocked that port # 10800.
    Heck,I really don't even know what a port is but now have a basic understanding of the reason why I can't gain access in a browser to be able to enter the password for "guest". As I said this is really the first time since I have owned the router that I really am in need of the guest SSID.

So now I have to find the correct browser to use with the guest SSID and make sure that the browser to be used with the guest SSID is set as the default browser when someone (mainly his girlfriend) attempts to use the guest SSID. So I have to find the proper browser to use with my laptop and her phone and actually anyone else's phones that visit me. I am not too concerned about my laptop because I lock my laptop every time I get up from my chair at my desk and I am also hardwired to my main SSID with the laptop.

So now I have to find a browser for her phone that will work with the guest SSID port 10800 that will not require too much set-up. I will make note of the browser and any configuration settings I have to change on it for anyone else that visits.

I was successful in reconfiguring Firefox on my laptop and it allowed me to gain access to the guest SSID properly.

I tried it on my phone with Firefox but when I enter in the URL about:config
    I get the following - a padlock with a line thru it.
    Last edited by question2012; May 8th, 2022 at 04:14 PM.

Ports are like doors. A blocked port is like a locked door.

For Firefox on Android, about:config is disabled in builds other than Beta or Nightly. I'm not sure which browsers still allow port 10080.

This might be a good excuse for upgrading your router. If she has to jump through too many hoops, she'll probably be even more suspicious.

Ah, gotcha on the ports.

I've already told her I don't trust her to use our main WiFi SSID and she will not have Internet access on her phone until I solve this "guest" issue and find a browser that will work on her phone with the guest SSID.

She's lucky I even let her live here at this point so she can cry if she wants to and use all of her cell data in the meantime.

Wow - I can't believe it. I can't find anything on the Net so I can open up port 10080 on a browser on her Android phone to give her guest access.

If I give her my old laptop where I have been able to successfully reconfigure Firefox to allow port 10080 for "Guest" SSID will this give the same security ( not allow her to access other devices on our home SSID) as if she was using her Andriod phone using the guest SSID where a browser was able to be reconfigured to allow port 10080.

Let's put aside any personal information which may be present on the laptop, we are only talking about Internet access and not being able to access the other devices on the home main SSID. I have wiped the laptop. She will only be using it to access the Internet. From what I have read this would be the same as if she was using her android phone where I was able to reconfigure a browser to allow port 10080
    Last edited by question2012; May 11th, 2022 at 12:43 PM.

Well, that's your call. You could still just replace the router.

I mentioned Firefox Beta or Nightly for Android, but I haven't tested those myself.

Thanks Midknyte and jdc2000
    I will look into both of those.

Appreciate your assistance.

Thread Information