[RESOLVED] administrative problems

Thread: [RESOLVED] administrative problems

Resolved [RESOLVED] administrative problems

I'm trying to install the below pasted update.
    but a flag requesting administrator permissions pops up, and it does not let me download.
    It is the first time this happen. I've tried the troubleshooting tool, with no relief .
    Yesterday I downloaded the 4 updates monthly rollup and went well.
    Thanks

"2022-04 Servicing Stack Update for Windows 8.1 for x64-based Systems (KB5012672)
    Download size: 10.2 MB
    Update type: Important
    Install this update to resolve issues in Windows. For a complete listing of the issues that are included in this update, see the associated Microsoft Knowledge Base article for more information. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer."

LENOVO-PC2
    Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4460 CPU @ 3.20GHz, 3201 Mhz, 4 core, 4 processori logici X64
    BIOS LENOVO IEKT26AUS, 22/07/2014 - SMBIOS 2.7
    (RAM) 4,00 GB
    Windows 8.1 Versione 6.3.9600 build 9600
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 745

Have you tried downloading directly from the catalog? I was able to and I don't even have
    Windows 8.1.

https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB5012672

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

Quote Originally Posted by fink View Post
    Have you tried downloading directly from the catalog? I was able to and I don't even have
    Windows 8.1.

https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB5012672

I tried the link you posted, but as I click on the windows link when it open up, it is just dead, it won't do anything.
    Could be MS stop to 8.1 protection ? It looks more like al capone protection to me.

a) right click the .msu link in the popup window that opens and select "save link as" and download it that way.

b) try downloading it on another computer and transfer via usb stick.

c) try a different browser

I'm able to d/l it on Windows 7 so there shouldn't be any reason you can't w/ Win 8.1

ok Fink after fox as you said I did it with Chrome, and though very slow, it installed the update https://www.catalog.update.microsoft...px?q=KB5012672
    Thanks

You're welcome

You're welcome
    I noticed the following:
    the below update (1), was named different from all the usual daily updates ( 2)
    It was the first time, and is related to upgrading to W10.
    The 2) I just downloaded another one today, as every day just fine.
    Odd is'n it?

1)Security Update for Windows (KB5012672)

Installation date: ‎4/‎15/‎2022 6:14 PM

Installation status: Succeeded

Fix for KB5012672

2)Security Intelligence Update for Microsoft Defender Antivirus - KB2267602 (Version 1.363.471.0)

Installation date: ‎4/‎16/‎2022 4:57 PM

Installation status: Succeeded

Install this update to revise the files that are used to detect viruses, spyware, and other potentially unwanted software. Once you have installed this item, it cannot be removed.

More information:
    https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=2007160

Help and Support:
    https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=52661

Thanks again
    Last edited by cima2003; April 16th, 2022 at 11:17 AM.

It figures that Microsoft would make an update that's supposed to help download updates more difficult to update.

Summary

This update makes quality improvements to the servicing stack, which is the component that installs Windows updates. Servicing stack updates (SSU) makes sure that you have a robust and reliable servicing stack so that your devices can receive and install Microsoft updates.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...a-56997d1202a5

It figures that Microsoft would make an update that's supposed to help download updates more difficult to update.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...a-56997d1202a5
    Could be also that the Servicing stack is to old, or that not having upgraded to W10 yet, W8.1 is not receiving some of the updates properly, at least updates that help upgrade to W10.
    I didn't upgrade yet, being afraid would be to late, so something could go wrong.
    Though at a store they told me that I could just doing it on line at the MS site, for free.

they told me that I could just doing it on line at the MS site, for free.
    You could. Make backups of everything you can first though. Also a complete disc image to go back to if the upgrade goes south would be the first thing I'd do.

You could. Make backups of everything you can first though. Also a complete disc image to go back to if the upgrade goes south would be the first thing I'd do.
    Back up and disc image, are not the same thing?

In the download folder I found downloaded 12 times the update I was telling you about. By now is already in the update folder though, so I guess I'm going to erase it, at least 11 of them. It never went there any of the updates I did. But I guess if I go to W10, it will not be a choice any longer, it will update and that's it.

Thanks
    Last edited by cima2003; April 18th, 2022 at 10:42 AM.

Back up and disc image, are not the same thing?
    Yes but in my own lingo backing up files means making copies of individual files like pics, docs etc that are really important and saving them on another drive for safekeeping in case of disaster-like events like a separate complete disc re-image backup that goes south. My motto is you can never have too many backups... of all types.

And re the other downloaded files... yeah that sometimes happens to me depending on which browser I'm using.. clicking on a file link quietly downloads it in the background with no notice making you think nothing happened. Just delete them all.

Yes but in my own lingo backing up files means making copies of individual files like pics, docs etc that are really important and saving them on another drive for safekeeping in case of disaster-like events like a separate complete disc re-image backup that goes south. My motto is you can never have too many backups... of all types.

And re the other downloaded files... yeah that sometimes happens to me depending on which browser I'm using.. clicking on a file link quietly downloads it in the background with no notice making you think nothing happened. Just delete them all.
    I see now: every time I was trying to click on it to download the upgrade, and it did not, it was just going to the downloaded files x12 times.
    Thanks

Thread Information