What the heck! - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What the heck!

Just a guess but it sounds like your fan speeds weren't increasing when the CPU got hotter and the high temps shut it down. Checking the box forced them to run faster/cool down better in sync with temps. Still odd that it was only those distance sites that did it since they don't really look that resource intensive to me. Maybe they have busy banner ads or something. I use an ad blocker so don't see that crap.

What temps are/were you seeing?

Normally fan speeds are preset and controlled pre-boot in the BIOS or UEFI in newer PC's esp if they're a brand name computer out of the box. Those may have been changed at some point after purchase or perhaps just corrupted somehow. What is the model/make of the computer? Or the model of the motherboard if you know it?

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

Untitled.jpg
    As you can see it's old and never has the thermal paste been changed. I'm thinking it's time.

Probably but you should still give us some general average and peak temps so we have a baseline to judge things on present and future.

Just as an example of what would be helpful here's a thread I created about temps last year.

https://discussions.virtualdr.com/sh...p-observations

This is at idle speed.
    Untitled.jpg

That's extremely low (although not impossible). Especially core 0. Low enough that I might consider it a misread. It would normally be somewhat higher.. mine is around 45 and on my dual core i3 around 42. Occasionally temp sensors give incorrect info to programs like speedfan. Try using Speccy to see what temps it shows. It doesn't have any graphs but the CPU temp gauge is accurate.

https://www.ccleaner.com/speccy

It also gives LOTS of other useful info so a good utility to have anyway.

If those temps are accurate then new paste probably would not be necessary. It would still be good to see the temps when you access that page that used to shut you down. BTW.. do the computer's fans sound different now with Speedfan's settings?.. ie spinning faster? Louder/changing volume.

Can't hear any difference in the sound of the fans and Speccy says it's running cool.Untitled.jpg
    A real head scratcher Fink.

What do the temps look like under more strenuous activity?

This just happened when I checked distances. "Display driver stopped responding but has recovered".
    So it went to black screen for a second, but came back up with that error.
    Now what?

Do you have a separate video card installed or does your computer use one that's built into the motherboard? If separate I'd have a look at the fan/heatsink to make sure it's clean. I'd then check to see if you have the latest drivers for the GPU unit whichever one it is.

Also have a look in event viewer to see if there are any warnings or errors.

Does it whenever I go to that site for driving distances. Maybe it's time for a graphics card instead of the built in one.

I'd be doing some more investigation before I spent any money. Perhaps others here can add opinions.

It could be a graphics issue. I would check for a driver update first. Make a backup before installing updates. See if there is a heatsink for the onboard graphics chip. If you have a spare video card, you could try that. I would run a memory test also.

Thread Information