What the heck!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What the heck!

What the heck!

I usually never have a problem with my computer or internet, but this problem has me scratching my noggin. When I want to see the distance from where I live to another city, my computer shuts down. I've been surfing the web since the web was formed, and never had this problem. I've got lots of ram, hd space, and no problems with computer overheating. It only happens when I check for distance.

What the H.E. double hockey sticks is going on?

FYI, I've been around since Sysopt days circa 2002.

hmmmm... If we only knew a whole lot more information.... Like the steps/applications used to "see the distance."
    If you're happy and you know it......it's your meds.

Ok, after my computer has shut down 3 times today, I can finally post again.
    I use Firefox and Yahoo. Today I typed in, "Distance from Booneville, Ar to Pryor Creek, Ok" in Yahoo's search bar. I clicked on the first result and within 5 seconds my computer turned off. It has only shut off when I'm checking driving distances.

That's quite unusual. I assume using the Yahoo toolbar to search for anything else works ok? My first inclination would be to uninstall the toolbar and just search directly from yahoo.com or google or another search engine. Another inclination would be to run Malwarebytes and make sure that there's nothing nefarious going on with that toolbar.

VirtualDr email notices are not working.
    Check back regularly for responses.

It only happens when I search for city distances. I run Malwarebytes, Superantispyware, and Microsoft security essentials religiously. It's just weird and I can't think of an explanation.

All cities? What about countries or other geographical areas? Hiways? That is very strange. Maybe try uninstalling the toolbar and reinstalling it.

Did you try another browser? What version of Windows are you running?

Did you do any hardware tests?

I tried that site with MSN and had the same problem. I ran a check on my video card and everything checked out.
    I don't run any tool bars. Win7 pro 64 bit.

I don't run any tool bars.
    My mistake.. assumed you were using one from this comment earlier..
    in Yahoo's search bar
    I find this whole problem very puzzling. I thought perhaps the map rendering was
    using a lot of CPU and maybe raising temps in the computer causing it to shut down
    but from my observations doing searches like that on yahoo from various browsers
    only increase CPU usage to ~30% for a few seconds.. not enough to make a computer
    blink in most cases.

Is there anything else you do/use on the computer to make it shut down like that?
    Playing movies? Graphics intense games? Photoshop type programs?

Are there any errors in Event Viewer?

I would also run RAM and HD diags.

After much testing, I'm coming around to thinking my cpu automatically shuts down my computer. I d/l Core Temp and it jumps up when I access that "distance" page. Then it freezes and computer shuts down. I put an exterior fan up against the cpu but that didn't help. Maybe thermal paste will help?

Maybe thermal paste will help?
    Possibly. It does lose efficiency after a few years. I reapply paste on my PC's every 3 or 4 years out of habit. There are many tutorials available on line to look at first if you haven't done it before. What temps are you getting on average?

I use Speedfan to monitor temps on my PC's. It logs the temps when you set it to do that.
    you can set it up to view the CPU temps on graphs. Not sure if the log files will still be saved if the
    computer shuts down on it's own though.

https://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

It's still unusual that looking at distances on Yahoo would be the only thing that would trigger that though. Watch the temps while doing other things and see what happens.

Thanks Fink, I'll d/l speedfan and see what it says.

I installed Speedfan and checked the box "automatic fan speed" and now I can go back to those "distances" sites and my computer doesn't shut down. Is that normal?

I am very happy!

Thread Information